No Dash Air

Started by cncsparky, March 17, 2014, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

Pulling the radiator for a cleaning the other day, I moved the ac condensor up out of the way and twisted, pinched one of the lines.  Let what gas was in there out  $@!#@! .  The dash AC didn't work last time I tried it, but had planned on trying to see if I could get it going.  After messing up the line, I went ahead and pulled the rest of the system out, compressor and lines etc. 

My question is, how well does running the coach AC down the road work?  Mostly concerned with humid, rainy days when the windshield gets foggy and the dash ac can help to unfog it.  Can the coach AC keep enough of the moisture out to keep that from happening? 

-Tom.
-Tom

M & J

Works well. Many member's dash AC doesn't work so for those days the windows open driving down the road doesn't work they fire up the genny and run the rooftop air while going down the road.
M & J

gadgetman

I removed the belt from my dash ac years ago as I never used it. always ran the gen and the roof ac. better mileage that way. I thought about removing the ac comp and installing another alt. But I have 45 amps of solar now so there is no real need :)

Oz

A lot of the old dash air conditioners have gone kaput and it's my observation from others that it's just too much of a hassle and expense to replace.  Many people have just put a couple of fans on the dash or above the windshields and hooked them up to a switch in order to use as defoggers.  Then, they removed the air conditoning unit and replaced the belt so it would be less drag on the engine.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Odss91b

This was actually what I was just about to post about. 89 chieftain and wondering about getting a compressor. PO found holes in the lines replaced all the lines charged it and still no dash ac.

Oz

Don't get me wrong... it IS doable.  Being able to charge the coolant I think was the biggest issue.  With all the changes since '89, it seems to me that the thing to do would be to find some newer car or truck dash A/C system and install it.  Again... time, hassle, and cost to consider.  If you have the source for the parts at a low cost, the time, and the gumption to do it...
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca