Fiberglass instead of rubber or aluminum roof?

Started by brians1969, August 14, 2014, 06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brians1969

Anybody fiberglass their roof rather than rubber roofing or aluminum sheet?thanksbrian

Stripe

Mine is approximately 2/10ths FG and 8/10ths Aluminum.

What exactly are you trying to figure out here??  What is better? What do folks prefer??
Please elaborate.. :D
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

brians1969

Thinking out loud. Before I recover with aluminum, I was thinking of glassing it and wondered if anybody else has done it.

Stripe

Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Oz

The question is about using fiberglass under aluminum sheeting, not rubber, not aluminum sealants.   So please, stick to the fiberglass aspect, not other alternatives.

If you were to use fiberglass, you wouldn't even need aluminum sheeting on top.  The trick would be to be able to effectively cover the roof with fiberglass panels, pre-gel coated on one side and bond them to the plywood.  Then you can apply white roof coating.

You could use fiberglass panels just like you would aluminum sheets, sealing at the seams.  I suppose you could even get a panel cut to the specified size without seams if your roof were the standard, all flat roof.  In addition, you could install bowed rafters and the fiberglass would easily bend to conform.

With yours though, you have that forward hump which is very unusual so you would need to get 3 separate fiberglass panels.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

brians1969

Could I use fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin?

Oz

Yes, you could, but what a job!  For the expense of it, I'm not sure how that would weigh out with the cost of panels, and you'd need to have enough on the final layer to make a relatively smooth surface, enough so you don't see the mesh.

I did fiberglass layup and finishing for a couple years.  You need the right kind of resin and properly mix the catalyst, working very quickly so no area dries too much before applying more to the adjacent areas.  With a project of that size and without a team of 3 people doing it, I wouldn't try it myself.  Two working side-by-side with the layup and one continually mixing the resin and prepping the cloth.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

brians1969

Ok, thanks. Looks like aluminum would be the least expensive and easiest option for the do-it-yourselfer.