Gauge cluster circuit trace replacement

Started by Alaskan Itasca, June 23, 2014, 05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan Itasca

When I got my rig the gas gauge worked, About a year and a half ago I had to pull the cluster out to fix the windshield wiper arm and when I assembled it again it the gas gauge longer worked.

I could have knocked something loose in the dash I saw in other posts there is some wire that can come loose, I can't find another wire anwhere, or my board on the back was bad but working and taking it apart finished it off. I have a clear break in the trace, but I have no idea if it is related to the gauge or not. All the other gauges are working.

Anyone know where I can get a new trace board for the cluster? I didn't come up with much on a search on this issue. The gas gauge is always on empty, and if I unplug the main connector it goes to full until I plug it back in. Fortunatly I know about how many miles I can go, but a working gauge would be super.....

a picture:
1978 Itasca 27RT - RIP
1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 30E

Stripe

OOh, a shorted out trace.  HEre is how to deal with this..  Get a set of small alligator clip jumpers or make a set, it's easy as pie! then just jump that trace and see if that affects the gauge. If so and nothing else burns another trace jumping the old trace is EASY.. 

Think Rear window defogger repair kit!!

OW MY BRAIN! There it goes again!
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Stripe

YIPE! Reach Around Please??

On a side note, the good news is (if'n this is good news) it will not fit the back of his cluster.  Of course where was that board when I had the '77???  Woulda saved me a lotta angst..  I'll have to pass this on to the new owner.
Fredric,

Rickf1985

That trace appears to be the ground for the dash lighting. Interesting to find that one burned?

pvoth1111

loose connections cause high amperage cause burned up stuff.....
that trace can be fixed with proper soldering and fixing the root cause of the failure
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

cncsparky

Those copper traces would be fairly simple to repair.  Electrical solder, soldering iron, and some small gauge solid core wire (Radio shack carries).  Scrape back insulation at a known good spot and solder down some of the wire and again at the trace's end point.
-Tom

Stripe

I wouldn't solder that to repair it as the traces are on a plastic sheet...  I've done the connection to connection Engineering patch and if you get the gauge wrong it'll burn out again..

Fredric,