Repair or Replace Transmission cooler and power steering lines?

Started by Odss91b, June 18, 2014, 11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odss91b

Ok so as I was fixing the brake master cylinder, I noticed that the line that goes from the power steering pump to the bmc had oil on it, but only on the rubber line. Everywhere else on that line that was steel there was no leak or oil residue on it. Same for what I believe to be the trans cooler lines, just where it is rubber there is oil but nowhere else on the rest of the steel line? Do I need whole new lines (which I am assuming is the case) or can that be repaired?

Stripe

Wipe down and clean off the lines as good as possible without using any cleaning agents or solvents, then take the RV for a spin up and down the highway a few miles and then recheck the lines. It's possible the oily residue is from your engine and not a leak. It will stick and stay on rubber more than it will on steel tubing so that could explain why there isn't as much on the steel..  Also, double check your valve cover edges and see if they are allowing seepage as this was a cause of oil dripping on mine a while back. THe PO used red RTV silicone gasket maker instead of a real gasket and really BOTCHED the job. Bead was not uniform and had GAPS in it..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28