Windshield rubber source ?

Started by Wbago, April 26, 2014, 03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wbago

hiya all :D

after a lot of rain lately, i find ive got a slight leak at the top edge of the windscreen on my 87 chieftain ... :(

further looking shows the outside sealing round the window is all shot, needs resealing and the rubber outer trim is falling apart, so thats gonna get swapped too ...

my problem is that i cant seem to find the outer trim anywhere, and i figured a flat trim would be easy lol :P  .. seem to be able to find lots of shaped trims, but mine is a simple one :D
its around 30mm wide, maybe 3/4mm thick, flat on the back and slightly domed on the front, made from black rubber, usually has a sticky back. anything thatll do the job is good .... post to UK ?

any help much appreciated guys :D

Stripe

Have a look at this pdf, actual page 137, pdf page 138 of 241. Windshield reveal molding. There are several examples of your description.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Winnebago_Catalog.pdf

curved on outside flat backing. Flat because it's pushed into channel around windscreen.

Part numbers abound.. :D
edit: photo for reference only
In the photo does the top right example look about right??
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

Wbago

dude, thats not flat, its got a lip, to fit round the screen before its fitted  :)

.. . im looking for that, but no lip, so i can remove whats left of mine with a blade, then add a line of seal, then stick the rubber on top, over the gap, without removing the screen ...

if i cant find the flat one, ill be buying something like that, but stripping the back bit off, but the windscreen has been badly fitted, and it slightly out of line, so im hoping for 30mm wide to cover the cock-up and make it look level again ....

closest ive found is a trim for car bumpers/door, but its in metre lengths and its got a chrome infill, looks a bit naff tbh ...

Stripe

Ahh, I see what you mean.  That's going to be a difficult time to find in a rubber material pliable enough to not look all bunched up around the curves.

That's actually not a lip for the window to set in BTW, that's to make a seal and keep the trim from pulling back out easily. I used trim like this to fit a window in a friends teardrop he was making from scratch. The lip as you put it is too thin to be put on the glass beforehand. It's just a onesided version of the molding that is in the top left of the pic. Think barb like in a fishing hook.

I can imagine the looks you'd get with the door trim stuff. Window frame glinting in the sun and all... Window Bling..
Fredric,

Wbago

ya, im defo not feeling the chrome lol .... even thought about buying it and spraying it black .. . possible i spose  ..

bunched up round what curves, btw ??? ... is all straight bits :D

Stripe

Quote from: Wbago on April 26, 2014, 03:52 PM
bunched up round what curves, btw ??? ... is all straight bits :D

And now I know..  :D
Fredric,

HandyDan

Here you are bad mouthing our chrome.  We don't make fun of your big W (which is a double U.  Why does the alphabet need a double U?  Couldn't you just use two of them and achieve the same purpose?)! :)rotflmao 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Stripe

Now that's a thing o beauty.. :)
Fredric,

Wbago

lol HandyDan :D ... i dont mind your rambler having chrome, its quite subtle, and it suits the motor . .. . but not on mine, its sposed to be all black ...

and i refuse to be led on the double U thing, dude ... being in the UK, we speak a different English to you over there, and im sure if i took the time to explain the need of a double U, youd not get it, like you dont get silent letters, hard and soft pronunciation of letters, and other stuff thats simplified over there :D .... could be all day talking bout that lol :P

Rickf1985

I made the mistake of asking a good friend of mine, who is a Londoner, what is the difference between a Londoner and a Geordie. Good Lord! That discussion went on for hours and it was a one sided discussion, his side. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao Never let it be said the Englishman is not passionate about his heritage!

Stripe

Gonna leave that one alone.

Wbago, have been able to find anything yet?  Also, could you possibly get a close up snap of the sides an at least one corner?
Fredric,

Wbago

nope, closest is still the chrome :P
um ... ill get ya a few photos of what i have :D

Wbago

Here ya go . .

.first pic shows the lower edge of the passenger side screen .. most of it is this bad. .. :(

.second is the outer edge, where the rubber strip should tuck under the fibreglass covering round the corner, but doesnt .. top edge rubber shows a knife cut, i think they fitted the top trim to the bottom, then had to trim the longer lower one to fit the top ... this is with the rubber lifted, huge gap, completely missed with the screen sealant :(

third is the other end of same strip, in the centre of the screen ... lifted up, you can see where the screen has been fitted with a huge gap, no way was it gonna fit :( ... can also see the profile, where im holding it with my finger, that barb should fit snug, but its loose in the gap, and the rubber is perished anyways, so cant refit it ...

Rickf1985

I don't know why I was thinking you had a minnie? As soon as I saw that front I recognized it. Isn't that windscreen glued in with urethane? My 89 is. The rubber is mostly for looks and to keep crap out of the channels. If it is a glued in windscreen then there should be no glue or goop along those edges, the correct rubber trim, which is black, hooks in and covers all of that.

Wbago

Ordered 10mtrs of 30mm wide chrome strip .. .still no source on black rubber, so if it looks too much ill be painting it afterwards . . .
looks like a sharp blade will remove most of the crap, then ill re-seal with black screen sealant, and then retrim over the top, hopefully tidying the whole thing in the process . ..
fingers crossed :P

Wbago

Update - Seems PO's have used a variety of sealants around the screen, probably trying to fix the same leak ive still got lol  ... re-sealing under the rubber didnt help much, slowed the leak but didnt stop it ..
Fix/repair will involve removing all original trims, stripping out old sealant, then im gonna replace with 3 inch flat rubber strip, which is 3mm thick (link below) ... although weather has started to turn, might have to leave it till next year now im thinking ... the leak isnt bad, and a cup left on the dash catches it easy, so ill just have to suffer with it looking crappy till then :D

link to what im hoping to use .. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOLID-NEOPRENE-RUBBER-STRIPS-3MMTHK-X-5MTRS-LONG-/231086940827?pt=UK_DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&var=&hash=item35cddae29b

Rickf1985

Are you sure the leak is not in the roof and running down?

Wbago

id say 80% sure lol :D
... i resealed all along the top edge where the front moulding meets the roof with cromopol, 2 coats, made no difference to the leak, then i tried to remove the rubber along the top of the passenger side glass, to find its fixed so hard it'd rip the rubber to remove it .. quick fix was to run under the edge with new windscreen sealer, which reduced the leak by lots, but now i have a small seep that drips only occasionally when the rain and wind is real bad ..

.....  i can live with that until after the winter now ...

All to be blamed on poor fitting of the replacement screen, which was slightly too small as well i think ...

Pull down bunk over seats will be getting its refurb over winter too, so if i remove all the plastic trim while i do it, ill see if theres any other issues underneath, but it all seems dry above the top edge of the screen :D