Sources for 3/8" 1/2" plumbing fittings

Started by calbrave, December 14, 2008, 03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calbrave

Sent: 3/9/2005 12:58 PM

It finally got warm enough here to use our water system, but the first thing we found was that the PO has burst the hot water heater. I've by-passed the hot water heater, but we need to find replacements for the fittings that cracked. Is there a place that sells replacements for those? I've looked through a few plumbing stores and on many websites, but I can't find the right ones.

jsn80

Sent: 3/9/2005 7:49 PM

Could you provide a little more detail about the fitting?  What kind of pipes are you connecting to?

jsn80

pvoth1111

Ace hardware....home depot.....Lowes......any hardware store?
We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

OldEdBrady

Sent: 3/9/2005 8:15 PM

I just replaced over half the plumbing in the Whiny Beggar ('77 Brave).  I found fittings and water line at Home Depot.  Fairly reasonable, too.  The water line was about $30 for 100 feet (I think I'm set for the rest of my life with that one!) and the fittings were $2 a pair.  I used 3/8" all the way. 

calbrave

Sent: 3/9/2005 8:43 PM

I'm connecting to what looks like the original black plastic water pipes. I checked the common items pdf for a 1978 brave, and it looks the same. ty.

OEB,Did the Home depot fittings work with the original plumbing? I went to Home Depot, along with four other stores, and there was nothing even close.

OldEdBrady

Sent: 3/9/2005 9:46 PM

The plumbing fit fine.  But there's a little story with that.
When I went to Home Depot, I couldn't find any 3/8" that worked.  They had the inflexible stuff, and the totally flexible stuff.  So I decided to use the totally flexible, and put a sleeve in the piping.  The fittings were not a problem, since they had all kinds of sizes (plastic, of course).
After I walked back and forth about a dozen times, I finally had the connectors I needed.  On my way back to the flexible line, I passed a bunch of piping rolled up on the floor (blue and red).  I pulled one out, and it was 3/8".  It was rated for water pressure up to 75 lbs. (or maybe more), and since I have the fitting to relieve any pressure over 50 lbs., I grabbed it.  Then I no longer needed the sleeve to put down the piping.  So I took that back.  Picked up some extra connectors.

Through all this, I had no help, because all the workers were either busy with big ticket customers, or on their way somewhere that must have been having a fire sale, since they seemed to be in an almighty hurry.  So I bought what I felt I needed.

Anyway, I pulled out the old piping in the Beggar, and measured the length I needed for each section.  Then I used one of those cutters that's actually designed for copper piping, since it would give me a cleaner cut.  After cutting, I reamed each end a bit, slid on the little grommet (also plastic), and pushed it back with about 1/4" tp 3/8" of the end of the piping exposed.  Then I tightened the connectors down.  The instructions very clearly stated you should not use teflon tape nor pipe compound.  I was a bit leery of this, but decided to try it. Each connector was tightened until the blasted things squealed. Then the acid test.  I hooked up the pressure limiter, ran a hose to the back, and turned it on.  Nary a leak.     

jsn80

Sent: 3/9/2005 9:51 PM

calbrave,

Are there any markings on the pipe?  I'm not sure what kind of pipe that is, a better detailed photo would be helpful, to show how the fitting is attached.  That pipe might be something no longer used.  Have you thought about a repipe?  I've been thinking about offering a community pex crimp tool to members.  I currently only have a 1/2" tool, but may have different sizes in the future.  If there is enough interest, I'll probably do it.

jsn80 

OldEdBrady

Sent: 3/9/2005 9:57 PM

I will save this particular post and reply tomorrow, since I've locked up everything for the night.  But, as far as other types are concerned, FOR ME, this is fine.  Someone who expects to be around another 30 or 40 years, they might not be so happy with it.  And, since I had to get 100 feet (minimum roll size), I could re-plumb the Beggar 5 times, so it didn't concern me that it might not last to 2050.

I'm fully aware there are probably much better things to use.  But, cost-wise, and time-wise, this was more than sufficient for me.

Again, I will get the markings for you and post them tomorrow.   

calbrave

Sent: 3/9/2005 10:22 PM

There are no markings on the pipe. 

I have considered changing all of the pipe, but it’s all in good condition other than the one cracked t-joint. Getting at the shower faucets will be difficult.

My next choice would be to try and find a fitting that is the right size for the pipe, even if it is designed for something else.

jsn80

Sent: 3/9/2005 10:44 PM

How is that fitting connected to the pipe?  Compression?  locking insert? crimp?  I'm thinking you might have some of the original Polybutylene tubing, that's just a guess though.

calbrave

Sent: 3/10/2005 12:27 AM

I’m not sure of the terminology, but “compression” sounds right. The connection is threaded and tightened using a large wrench. The tubes themselves are actually made to the exact length they need to be; the ends of the tube is flared to stop the connector from sliding off.

Polybutylene sounds right. I googled for that and found something that looks very close on amazon, made by “Flair-It”
If it is polybutylene, then you don't have many options.  PB hasn't been manufactured for almost ten years.  Fittings like Flair-It are designed for multiple different pipes.  Copper, PEX, and PB are all outside diameter controlled tubes.  The only other fitting I can think of, is a Qest compression fitting that usually can be found at the big chain hardware stores.  Though they are not the best of quality, you use what you can.  The big draw back on the Qest fittings is that the more you disinfect your system with chlorine the more damage you do to the fitting.  Google Flair-It, they have a website and you could contact them as to where your nearest distributer is.   

JSN,
I'm considering just taking out all the old water pipe and replacing it with PEX. Do you have recommendations? ( I tired to post this using email, but it hasn't shown up yet)   

OldEdBrady

Sent: 3/10/2005 10:10 PM

OK.  Here's the stuff I found at Home Depot.

The line is called Zurn-Pex (strangely enough, made by Zurn!).  It comes in red or blue.  (I thought about using red for the hot line and blue for the cold, but sanity overtook me; what in the world would I do with 200' of the stuff?)  The ratings (which I couldn't hit if I had to) are 9-160 psi @ 73 degrees F.  100 psi @ 180 degrees.  And 80 psi @ 200 degrees.  As I said, 100' rolls of the stuff.

The fittings are Qicktite.  They are 3-part jobs.  There's the slip nut that goes on first.  Then there's a tiny metal ring.  Finally, the cone (as they call it--it's just a plastic compression ring) goes on.  They recommend the cone go on until there's about 1/2" of the tube end exposed.  You then tighten it down by hand until it squeaks, and then use a wrench to give it one additional full turn.  These things are part number QBBFNCR2.

The whole thing is a 1/2" OD, 3/8" ID, which is just what you asked about.

As I said, they may not last forever, but they'll last my lifetime.
Oh.  There was a post about chlorine.  The piping recommends no more than 2 parts per mil. chlorine and 140 degrees F.

It's supposed to be good for potable water, but definitely not recommended with air conditioning refrigerant.  (Would anyone really try to use it for that?)  :) 

Hope this helps.   

jsn80

Sent: 3/10/2005 10:48 PM

Calbrave,

First of all, I recommend using a pex disigned for the copper crimp ring connection (Zurn, Vanguard, etc.)  I not going to tell you to pick one of those over the other.  I work for Vanguard, but I'm not a salesmen.  Honestly you will have better luck finding Zurn pex than Vanguard pex.  Are customer base is wholesalers, and contractors.  Zurn dominates the retail market (Home Depot, Lowes).  I will strongly recommend that you do not use Wirsbo Pex.  This pex uses a cold expansion connection, though an approved method, I don't like it and the colder the weather the more of a pain it is to do.

I'm surprised you couldn't find white Zurn PEX.  In my area the Lowes and Home Depot only carry white in 5-10' sticks or 20' coils.  Those Qicktite fittings are the ones that I was reference about the chlorine.  I believe it was 70winnie that had that type of failure on one of his fittings (I think).  Granted that most people won't ever have a problem, but those fittings are made of the same material that caused the national class action lawsuit on polybutylene tubing.  And yes, you would be amazed of what people will do with a piece of pipe!!!!

calbrave

Sent: 3/10/2005 11:01 PM

jsn80

Thanks for the info. I will look for Vanguard first, then try Zurn. What do you think the chances are of being able to use the old fixtures? Every thing is original. I really don't want to shell out for a new toilet.   

jsn80

Sent: 3/10/2005 11:23 PM

You shouldn't have a problem at all using the old fixtures.  Those connections should all be standard and still in use today.  We have our products in many different campers.  From pop-ups all the way up to the luxury $1.5 million MH.  If you run into trouble, let me know and I'll try to help the best that I can.

Also, it was HeavyHualTrucker that had the failures, not 70winnie........   

70winnie

Sent: 3/11/2005 2:18 AM

I did have a QestPEX "tee" fitting crack while I was trying to rearrange some of my plumbing... might have been my own fault (using too much force) though.