repairing and adding support to fiberglass doghouse

Started by moonlitcoyote, July 03, 2013, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonlitcoyote

My fiberglass doghouse has gotten cracked from being walked on and jumped on, so I need to know if anyone has used a good fiberglass repair kit that I can use to fix it.

Also I would like to come up with a way to add support to the doghouse so that it does not get re-broken.. Has anyone done this or have any ideas on what I can use to add support? Thanks\

MJ

DaveVA78Chieftain

Fiberglass Repair Kit: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Bondo-Fiberglass-repair-kit/_/N-260o?itemIdentifier=167004_0_0_

Go to lowes and get some flat aluminum bar stock (hardware section in steel display).  Cut to length and insert as rib supports underneath (engine side) to re-enforce the cover.

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

bury it in the fiberglass repair or screw it down? You think flat stock would be strong enough?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Both fiberglass and screws at ends.  The bowing will add the strength.  I would use at least 2 bars.  These act like roof rafters and the their greatest strength will be from the arch

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

Here is what I started with, the doghouse was cracked and very weak...

SO, following Dave's advice I bought some aluminum flat stock and some fiberglass cloth and resin and went to work.

Here you can see that I bent the flat stock to fit, screwed the ends down and started fiberglassing it. I covered the aluminum and cracks with the fiberglass cloth then poured on the mixed resin over the whole thing. It came out very nice. It is very sturdy now.

yvan

Did the same to mine last week,  the flat stock embedded in the glass made a world of difference. Now I just need to find a good seal to put around it....
Yvan

Proud Eyebrow RV owner since 2014

M & J

M & J

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kool MJ.  Glad to hear it all worked out as planned.

Dave
[move][/move]