Adding levels to the RV

Started by cncsparky, June 05, 2014, 01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cncsparky

My coach has no levels for setting leveling at the campground.  Has anyone added levels to theirs?  Or what do you use to make sure the coach is level when parked?  Any suggestions on what to use and how to set them up the first time.   :)clap
-Tom

DonD

I put a bubble level in the freezer which has a flat floor. Then I put the stick on ones so they can be seen from the driver's seat. Often I can pull into a site and ease ahead until each level is centered..or close to it. I've seen folks put them OUTSIDE, then it's in and out, in and out unless you have a helper.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

Oz

I pulled about a dozen off junkyard RVs.  I put one on the outside of each corner... inside, one centered in the cab, one midship, and one centered above the rear goucho.  Of course... just putting a round pen on the dinette table would have worked just as well, I bet - LOL!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

legomybago

QuoteThen I put the stick on ones so they can be seen from the driver's seat.

I've always used the round bubble level in the fridge, but I like the idea of having a couple in the interior, I may do that :)ThmbUp
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

M & J

I do what DonD does. I have levels at the dash and watch them as I ease forward or backward until they are centered.
M & J

LJ-TJ

Well first I found a parking lot that I felt was close to level. Then I went in the fridge freezer with a small spirit level or bulls eye level and leveled the rig in both directions. Once I got the front to back level I mounted a stick on level to the window frame buy the drivers seat were it could be easily seen. Then I leveled the rig side to side. Once I got it were I wanted it I placed another stick on level to the dash were it could be easily seen. Now when I pull in I can pretty much make sure the rig is level all the way around. The reason I used the fridge freezer is the fridge seems to be the most critical appliance in terms of having to be level to work properly.

cncsparky

Thanks guys!  Where can I get some stick on levels?  Think Lowe's or HD would have them?

I do have a bubble level app for my iphone, maybe could set it on the floor while parking.
-Tom

M & J

Walmart is where we got ours. Just level the coach first.
M & J

Rickf1985

I have checked that level app that comes with the I phone and it is dead on. HOW do they do that!? And the compass that is not affected by magnets in the vehicle. Freaky I tell ya.

LJ-TJ

Walmart's a good place to start.

Stripe

Quote from: Rickf1985 on June 05, 2014, 07:55 PM
I have checked that level app that comes with the I phone and it is dead on. HOW do they do that!? And the compass that is not affected by magnets in the vehicle. Freaky I tell ya.

It's WITCHCRAFT!!
And putting the bubble level in the freezer is the best thing to do as yes it is important that the fridge is as close to level as possible..
For me it helps that I have the hydraulic leveling jacks(cheating, I know) with the controls inside. I can quickly move between the controls and the freezer..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

LJ-TJ

Don't worry boys, Strip's is going to rub it in every chance he gets that HEeeeee has hydraulic levelers. :P

M & J

Until they malfunction. Then he'll be asking where to get the little bubble levels for the dash. :)
M & J

Stripe

I use the bubble levels..  And I so totally called it that I would catch heat for mentioning my "landing gear".. ???

Oh, and they had malfunctioned at one time but it ended up being a dying battery..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

rcrab

I made a set of blocks that you back up on too.  They are 4x4x12 strapped together with strapping material out of a truckers tie down strap.  3 of them full size then 3 more cut down to an angle wedge.  You just throw them behind the wheels and back up on them to the point of level. Made a set for my front too.  4x4x6 inches long.  Just cut them on the table saw. First block is full 4x4, second cut from 4-3, third cut from 3-2 and last one cut from 2-1/2. Strap together on bottom making gentle slope to drive up on. :D