rust on side mirrors

Started by acenjason, August 14, 2014, 01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

My poor Winny is stricken with rust on her side mirrors. Is there a product that I can apply right over the rust to fix this? Thanks in advance :)

Oz

I did a quick google on rust coverters and I know there is a product which has been around for a long time and can be applied directly to rust which renders it inert (I just don't remember what the name is).  Once the process is complete, you can sand the surface smooth and paint over it.

Here's just one item I found with the google search:
http://www.corroseal.com/
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

TerryH

Are you thinking of "chemsonlite"? If so, last time I tried to get some, couple of years ago, it was no longer available. Seems to be the way of a lot of the older but highly effective products that have now been found to be too harsh for current EPA requirements. Not necessarily complaining, but growing older just keeps getting more difficult.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Lefty

Duplicolor part # RF129
Comes in a 10oz spray can, spray directly onto rusted areas. Goes on clear, but converts rust to a black primer surface that can be sanded, bondo'd or fiberglassed.
Advance Auto carries it, possibly also at Home Depot or any place that stocks Duplicolor paints.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

xerofall

I finally had to buy new mirrors and fab up some holders to retrofit them on my Winny. It made all the difference.

acenjason

Those look really nice. Maybe I will do that. I think I will look and see if I can find the brackets that fit somewhere. That is a great look. Perhaps after market is the way to go. OZ has some cool two piece mirrors that look pretty sharp......

Stripe

I've had interesting results with a crumpled bit of aluminum foil (not the heavy duty) dipped in (Real) Coke(c) and then rubbing the rust spots.  Great for chrome bits..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28

acenjason

I think I will try that. Thanks:)