roof sag in AC Area 22ft warrior

Started by kattkisson, September 02, 2014, 01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kattkisson

There are some posts in the files referring to putting a brace across the roof from side to side and pulling the sagging middle up to it for a fix.  What is not clean to me is whether this brace is installed outside or inside.  I think it would probably have to be outside but wouldn't it sing in the wind all the time?  If inside it presents problems to me because of my height.  Any comments?

moonlitcoyote

I am pretty sure when people add the brace it is done inside the roof. So they take the ceiling down and add the support then re-install the ceiling.

M & J

Thats what we did. Sistered in the new bracing alongside the existing. Used a jack to raise the roof then added the extra bracing.
M & J

Oz

Inside.

Only one member made an exterior one constructed of steel tubing.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

kattkisson

Thanks for everyone's reply.  Just so I know we are reading off the same page of the hymnal if any one wants to comment my roof is only a 1" thick sandwich.  The print that Winnebago sent me show 2 wooden boards inserted when the roof was laid up in the sandwich which would have to be only 3/4" thick.  Sandwich is (from the top) Aluminum, Styrofoam, Luan with vinyl covering. By the print there are only 2 alum "rafters" in the vehicle that do not correspond to vinyl breaks at all so these would have to be only 3/4" thick.

sasktrini

I'm doing mine right now, and measured my steel frame to be 1X2" tubing.  For my 1" thickness in additional wooden supports, I glued 1/8" hardboard to either side of my 1X4" spruce boards (actually 3/4" to total 1" matching the frame and insulation thickness).  You don't want a gap between your ceiling panels and new structure (ie panel only glued to the insulation because your new boards are 1/4" thinner than the original frame).
Corey aka sasktrini