Heat loss through roof Air Conditioner?

Started by acenjason, August 27, 2014, 02:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acenjason

Hello:) I like to high altitude camp in my D21. I have a great heater but I was wondering if I am losing heat up through my AC unit. I got to thinking that with the unit off there would be an open path up through the unit and out the top of my Winny. Does anyone know? Should I tape off the inside vents? I would hate to be wasting my propane :'(

Froggy1936

Yes there is some heat loss thru the roof A/C  But i dont think tapeing off the vents would account for much saveings And you do need circulation  To prevent severe sweating from propane heat . In sustained cold weather insulating the windows incl frt cab area will save more heat  Along with stopping air circulation under the rig Biggest cold transfer is up thru the floor Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

acenjason

Thanks for the info.:) I am excited to report that I overcame my anxiety and even surprised my old dometic with a nice new shroud:)

eXodus

There shouldn't be any holes in the A/C.  The A/C recycles your interior air.

The heat loss should be not very big. But it is something. Like everything in heat insulation, have you Vent cushions ? The vents are a good source of heat loss, also check every window. A small leak can cause gigantic wind chill if you only have a couple of miles wind speeds out there.

Floor is right also, but heat rises and is more likely to escape through the roof.
Get a joss/incense stick and check all your windows, vents and the A/C during high winds outside.

DonD

"There shouldn't be any holes in the A/C.  The A/C recycles your interior air. "

True..
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

DonD

Some kind of skirting helps. When I used to beach camp in the winter, I make a sand berm all around. It helped.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

eXodus

If you are using the factory built heater, there should be also no sweating from propane. The propane is burned outside and it only heats in the interior air trough some sort of radiator.

acenjason

I think I will get a pad to Velcro over the AC panel. I use an after market indoor rated high efficiency propane heater. It puts out 9000 BTUs into my 21 foot Winny. When the outside temp is below freezing the windows fog. That was last week beside a creek at 10500 feet  :)

I have never fixed the furnace that came with her.

TerryH

You might find it helpful to Google - Propane heat and Condensation/Water Vapour. The burning process of propane creates, as by products, CO, CO2 and water. Water being in the form of vapour. The CO and CO2 are in the form of gas and extremely dangerous, hence the NEED for adequate and appropriate and functional detectors.
The water vapour will show up as condensation or "sweating". Propane appliances do not use radiator systems. Propane usage does create far more water vapour or "sweating" than electric power.
The most accepted way to deal with condensation is air circulation. Fantastic Fans are, for me great for this.
Regardless, when using any propane powered appliance an adequate source of fresh air is mandatory.
Hope this helps.
Propane is a wonderful fuel, but can be deadly if not understood.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

acenjason

I have a carbon detector. Its never gone off. Like I said my heater is rated for indoor use and has an O2 senser shut off as well. It has also never activated. And frankly i have used this heater every other night for months. I would be dead if it werent safe. I have had no problems. Thanks though. I do use a small fan powered by my deep cycle bat/inverter to move heat down towards the floor. The whole thing works well for me at high altitude where the cold is. I had a sixty degree temp difference between indoors and outside the other day:) Warm Winny:)

Also, I'm pretty sure Winny leaks air like a siv. Even in low temps pushing 9000 BTU into a D21 is a lot of heat for my petite Winny. That's why I asked about the AC unit. So, there is a fair amount of air in and out. But I stay warm:) And I drop down into lower altitudes when heading home so the window plastic and skirts prolly won't work when moving every day. I am currently in the process of trying to get my edellbrock 4 barrel rod and jetted properly for this type of use. Its a pain. But I am off topic:)