Drive shaft spins, rig won't move!

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/25/2005 6:00 AM

Driving along at about 50 mph, heard a quick clunking noise, no ruffness, or or thumping, or vibration.....stepping on gas pedal at approx. the same time no drive train power. When stopped drive shaft still spinning....smoke comming from left rear hub. Left wheel wheel and axle bearing was just replaced.......no signs of gear oil on tire or rim...Rig will now not move, Drive shaft spinns all the way back to yoke.....and no sounds from rear....
anybody want to take a guess at what's wrong.... 
Thanks,
Timmy

Sent: 5/25/2005 10:56 AM

I think you are the pioneer for this problem. My guess would be a snapped axle shaft, which would also be the easiest to fix. But as to Why it would break, Ive no idea. The smoke from the hub is ominous, and could indicate an overheated bearing. But could it also be just the effect of the broken axle shaft spinning against the bottom of the axle tube? With our full-floater type axles, the axle shaft isn't supposed to carry any load other than the torque of rotating the hub; and the hub/bearings should be able to keep the wheel running along with no smoke/overheating -- regardless of the axle. If you drain the differential oil and it comes out free of metal shavings, it wouldn’t seem to have anything to do with broken parts in the differential itself. When you take the axle shaft out, I Hope some differential fluid drains out from the axle tube. Before you loosen the inner hub nut, see if it seems overtightened, or too loose. 

Sent: 5/25/2005 5:54 PM

It's definately the axle sheered....will know more when I get back from Charlotte....Thanks, Denison
Timmy