Location for a spare tire mount

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 27, 2008, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 10/21/2004 1:22 AM

T-ray, check in any of the big RV dealer catalogs for a bolt-on spare tire carrier.  They bolt to the back bumper with U-bolts in the same location as the stock one.

John

Sent: 10/21/2004 6:51 AM

I have a 72 Indian, D22, and I wanted to move the spare off the rear bumper.  Since the exhaust system stopped at the muffler when I bought mine, there was space underneath, behind the rear axle.   I made up a mounting bracket with two big studs to bolt the wheel up to, and made a small winch/pulley to haul the tire underneath and up onto the support studs.  I made up my own exhaust pipe to go around the spare and exit behind the rear wheels, curbside.  Now I carry a 2nd spare right behind the first.  It sticks out the back of the RV about an inch, but you dont notice it behind the bumper.   
    I have seen a spare mounted on the front bumper, centered in front of the radiator.   I always wondered if it had a noticable effect on cooling.
  If  these locations arent practical on your rig, I would remove whatever was in the way of mounting it to the rear bumper.   I think I still have the rusty mechanism that held my spare up - I forget whether it bolted to the bumper or the ends of the frame.