TIP: Wheel Safety go to the PROS!

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 27, 2008, 12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 9/25/2004 10:04 PM

Let me relay something everybody needs to check.....Had my new tires put on at Big O Tire.  They are tire pro's and I knew they were not very experienced at Motor Homes, or big tires. The boy that did the work, I watched him tighten one front tire and reminded him of the left handed thread on the drivers side. When the tires were on, I drove it out, had it balanced with what they call bean bag material. It's normal to have a rough ride for a little while after putting the bean bags inside the tire, until the bags break open and start the balancing process, your tires won't have a good balance. Once the bags break, you can't ( except with perminently installed weighted wheel balancing discs ) beat the balance once the bags open and start performing. It felt aq little rougher than normal. Kin of like I had egg shaped tires, and then at 40 mph, like I had a team of wild horses going in different directions, I had wheel whobble. I stopped now about 7 miles from Big O...and low and behold, I saw my cover caps protruding a little, my left front wheel, the lugs (all 5) were backed off to the the edges. So I had to jack it up, recenter the tire, and retighten. Then I checked the right front and two lugs were backing off. So folks, Pro's or not, no matter who does your tires, or takes your wheels off... always double check, and the mistake they made ( besides almost killing me or my wife or someone else) was letting the impact gun try and center the tire.....On these rigs, you have to use a bar or another person and a bar to hold the tire center until you can get at least two lug nuts hand centered on the holes of the rim, they don't have a hub like a passenger car, van or light truck, or even newer H/D trucks. Same thing with the bud (inside) back wheel... You neeed to manually center the wheel on the lug with at least 2 insert lugs, other wise, no matter how tight they are, they WILL BACK OFF...After that little escapade was over, I took the Doghouse on a test run of about 120 miles of country, city, highway, and interstate.... stopping about every 20 to 30 miles for a saftey check of different things.....She performed magnificently... So we're at all systems go, for our maiden voyage on Oct 8th......Keep it safe.....
Timmy

Sent: 9/26/2004 12:01 AM

They are tire pros for CARS -- not trucks or motor homes.  Most of the kids working at Big O don't know pilot hub wheels from ball seat wheels.  Big O's major market is cars, and they do a heck of a good job in that area -- but I have found that they will mess up a truck/ motor home job every time.

My favorite tire dealer (who, unfortunately, I am too far away from now) is Fremont Tire/ TW Tire in Sioux City, Iowa.  Now, they know their stuff!

John

Sent: 9/26/2004 7:10 AM

This is the big reason I prefer to do my own tire changing. I have a lot more confidence it is done the way I want it.
And with the family cars, after the tire store puts the wheels back on the car, I bring it home and loosen and retighten the wheels nuts with a hand wrench, so I can be sure that my wife/daughter will be able to change a flat - without the help of a 3/4 drive impact air wrench. 

Sent: 9/26/2004 2:04 PM

Hey Cooneytunes,
Where are you all located?  Well, If anyone is in the NW, Les Swhab is the best place for heave duty.  They do it all there.  Talk to you all later.

Erik
Seattle, WA

Sent: 9/26/2004 9:43 PM

hi to all ,
i had some tire work done in ohio and they where all very helpfull and DID KNOW WHAT THEY WERE DOING , AFTER ABOUT 1/2 HOUR of checking some wheel problems i was haveing they sent me up stairs to pay and the owner told me no charge , i almost fell over ,  its the goodyear dealer at the geneva exit on I 90 east of cleveland about 30 miles . bunch of bikers  but pros and a good bunch of guys ! so if your in the area just stop bye they have a restrant there to and say hi if ya got the time

Sent: 9/26/2004 11:42 PM

I agree Denison, It's better to do yourself, or at least double check them, before driving off. That was my dumb mistake..... not double checking ALL the tires.....remember fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice - Shame on me! So that won't happen again. All is good now in and around the Derby City. My rig is ready to roll.
Timmy