Repair or replace refigerator?

Started by FastGlassman69, April 12, 2015, 08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastGlassman69

Started checking out my non-funcioning fridge this morning, did all the voltage checks and cleaned the orifice/burner, also made up a new gas line as the old one got ruined taking it out. Pulled a terminal out of the bottom PC board, I can fix it but found some dark brown spots on the board and the slip in connector is all green corrosion. Hot wired the AC to the heating element and the frezer pulled down to 20 degrees in 3 hours /fridge was 40 so i'll assume the cooling unit is ok. I can get a new board for less than $100. I'm thinking I should get this one working rather then spending $1300-2000 on a new one! What do you guys think? Bobby

Oz

I think the answer is self-evident, unless you want to part with $1300-$2000...

What do you think, Bob?   ;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

FastGlassman69

Yes Mark it is! Was just looking for confimation on my findings as I am new to this. Thanks, Bobby :)ThmbUp

Froggy1936

That is a highly efficent cooling unit, Repair as cheaply as possible is my reccomendation, If you want to see some R&R look up project replaceing cooling unit  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

eXodus

what make is your refrigerator ? Got a Norcold PC board laying around from my fridge after the cooling unit died.

Replacing with an new RV style is expensive, I went the other route, got an Household Fridge for less then $200 + Inverter for $50. Much bigger 10 cubic feet instead of 7 in the same cabinet.
Now I have to recharge the batteries every other day. But got $1000 more in my pocket. Which I could invest into a solar system and never would have for propane for the fridge again.

FastGlassman69

Which board is it you have Exodus, mine is the original Norcold p/n d-15650. I bypassed all the controls this morning and hot wired the gas valve , it pulled down from 35 degrees to 5 in the freezer in like an hour, 40 in the fridge. You can PM me if you'd like. Bobby

JerryP

Would a solar panel keep the small residential fridge running, and batteries charged? ???
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

Oz

"Would a solar panel keep the small residential fridge running..." requires more info than just that to effectively answer and it's outside the scope of the original question.

However, the good news is that there are three topics which are great discussions about changing to a house type refrigerator, including one specifically about converting one to use solar panels.

If you have further questions about the house fridge/solar topic, just post them on the relevant topic of choice.

Just enter -> house refrigerator <- in the message search, and be sure to select "entire forum" from the drop-down.

:)   :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca