Adding air compressor?

Started by DRMousseau, May 17, 2015, 10:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRMousseau

There's no air compressor on these things anymore, and most small compact "air pumps" suitable for tight storage,.... are JUS PLAIN JUNK!!! I have all irons, jacks, chains and tools necessary to change or repair tires if needed,... but no suitable air compressor!!! Any suggestions???
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Rickf1985

Doc, Check out the Viair line of compressors on Amazon. I have a 400C that I put on my 31RT to power the JET air ride suspension. The 400 has a 33% duty cycle at 100lbs. 15 minutes on 30 off. The 450 has a 100% duty cycle. These are not exceptionally cheap but they are good compressors and put out a LOT more air than those parts store jobs. I wanted the 450 but I had spent all that I had at the time and had to settle for the 400. You do need some extras with these compressors, a relay capable of handling 30 amps and the wiring to go with it. An air tank, there is none with the compressor and a pressure shut off and safety switches. Basically it is best to mount this somewhere and then run a hose for your air needs.
Found this link while looking for a link to Viair, They DO have a self contained 450!

http://www.viaircorp.com/450P-auto.html

Here is a page with info on most of there compressors.

http://www.viaircorp.com/ada.html

tiinytina

I keep a little one gallon compressor/tank under the bed as long as I have the genny running plug and fill.  Not the fastest in the world but it gets there....  and has come in handy...  I also keep a tire plugging kit on board too... just in case!

Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

I would think the 300P would be plenty big and is 1/2 the price of the 450P
[move][/move]

DRMousseau

I had considered an "add on" to the 440,... but it's not something I wish to lose engine hp to.

I remember those li'l "spark plug" adapters long ago. Had one for every truck, every motorcycle and every car. Some said they were a hazard, but I've never seen, heard, or personally experienced such,.... other than burned fingers!!! They did get HOT in use!!! But this would suit my needs jus fine, except I no longer have any. NOT ONE!!! I must have had a dozen of those. And now I can't find 'em anywhere!!! Not something I need often, jus real handy when I do.

Space is at a real premium in D20,... especially when it's your home!!! I'm wondering about a good 12V "air horn" compressor, mounted to chassis frame near batter compartment. Something of reasonable price, dependable installed for "on demand use only" and capable of high pressure in reasonable time.

Oh,... and not REALLY a doc!!! DR is capitalized because they're my initials!!! Otherwise it would be Dr. LoL!!! "Go away kid! Ya bother me!"
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Rickf1985

I still have an EngineAire pump. Used them in the desert all the time before electric pumps came about. If you have engine A/C and do not use it you can convert the AC compressor to a regular air compressor. This works best with the old piston York style compressors but I have done it with the rotary compressors also. Everything is already there except for a tank and a compressor shut off which can be scavenged from any old air compressor. Small tank from a tractor trailer or aftermarket. I use the one on my Jeep to run an impact wrench!

FastGlassman69

Rick, can you elaborate on using a A/C compressor for air? I have a TuFlo500 I scavenged off some old truck, but it looks like a lot of work to get it in the mh, with cooling lines ,sump and fabbing all the brackets! Sounds simpler to do the A/C route with the pressure switch controlling the electric clutch! Any pointers would be appreciated! Bobby Hm?

Lefty

Read the thread here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/ac-compressor-converted-board-air-1437966/

And then follow the links within that conversation to find out pretty much everything you ever wanted to know about converting an A/C compressor into an onboard air compressor.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/sanden-board-air-58213/   <-- Great write-up!

I used to have a York A/C compressor that was converted to an air compressor on my Chevy... I mounted a small 5 gallon tank to the frame under the truck bed. I got the tank off a non-working air compressor I bought at my local thrift store for $5.00, and the York came off a old (any 70's full size Ford/Lincoln/Mercury) Ford at the junkyard.
You want a York because it has it's own lubrication via a built in oil sump. It does not depend on refrigerant oil circulating thru it for it's lubrication. If you use a compressor that does not have it's own oil sump, you must supply it with oil when it is in use or it will quickly fail. Adding an inexpensive inline oiler to the intake port of the compressor is the most common method. Just remember that if you do that style, you cannot use the system for any type of paint work... it will cause tons of fish-eyes in the paint from the oil. It will however be great for your other air tools.. as it will keep them nicely oiled.
A York system can be used for air brush work, or other painting needs.. As it does not have oil in the output air supply. I would still recommend a good quality oil/water separator and filter setup if you plan on using it for paint work... same as I would if you were setting up a home compressor in a workshop up.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Rickf1985

Lefty has it covered with that link. Real good info there.

TripleJ

I have just been considering this same thing.  Im looking for an onboard air solution for tire pressure, various things... and to operate the air horns that are on the way... I would like something semi permanent mounted, and with an air supply, not just a portable on demand pump. Plus it has to be in the neighborhood of free to close to free - since its more of a trinket than a necessary mechanical part.

Without really doing any research, Ive kind of thought it would be neat to find a place for a small 2-3 gallon oilless air compressor, and power it with an inverter just big enough.  Wire a switch to the instrument panel plus an air gauge.

theres some space behind the front end of my HR that I think something small might fit.  I think I might be able to get away with under $100 for everything using harbor freight stuff, even less if I can garage sale the right items.
'85 Holiday Rambler Presidential '28

FastGlassman69