In need of some trim, I don't know what it's called.

Started by zaa, July 01, 2015, 09:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaa

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for the trim in the image below, but I'm not sure what it's called. I've found some stuff that looked kind of similar, but the prices were out of this world.

Thanks!
Z

MotorPro

joanfenn

is that the trim between two sheets of paneling?  some thing like this from home depot?http://www.homedepot.ca/product/divider-bar-pvc-white-moulding-8-ft/912895#

You should check hardware stores for similar.

zaa

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's a sort of T shaped stuff that pushes into a groove in the wood at the ends of the cabinets. I have looked at several different hardware stores. This is trim that goes on the face of the cabinet ends, like this:

MotorPro

I replaced all those panels with polyurethaned wood 2 years ago. I will have to check around and see if I kept any of those.

ntsc358

it's called plastic t molding
do a search on amazon after you check how wide the part you need(the part that shows)

zaa

Heh, you have no idea how many ways I tried to search for that stuff, I feel silly it was so obvious. Thanks for that, ntsc358.

ntsc358

used a lot of that stuff on video games when I was still in the repair part of that business redoing the cabinets

zaa

JessEm

In the 'edge banding' section at woodworking stores is where I know of... Looks like 3/4" wide is what you need, which is usually how it comes.

If you don't get positive grab by the insert alone and need adhesive, contact cement is usually what's used on edge banding... Apply to both surfaces with a brush, and stick together. Do a dry run first if possible, and make sure you're putting it exactly where you want it the first time, because once both pieces touch, they're stuck.

And if you do decide to go the contact cement route, the insert, or 'T' is not necessary at all. You can go with flat and it opens up your options and availability.

Edit: Most edge banding that I've seen actually comes slightly wider than 3/4" and is meant to be trimmed off afterwards. This is to compensate for varying thickness of material, as well as a little forgiveness during installation.

zaa