Question about Transmission Temps

Started by CJ7365, August 16, 2015, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJ7365

I have a 95 Win Brave, 454 with the 4L80E trans, I put a transmission temp gauge on it.

Average temp pulling a Jeep (3400LBS) on flat hwy is 180, which I am comfortable with.

Went out this weekend for a camp out, drove up 6% about a 15 mile stretch, trans temp got up 240.

2nd gear about 30MPH, still had plenty of power, but wanted to keep it at that speed as it was pulling just fine up the grade.

Do you all think 240 is to hot, considering the circumstances, 30min drive up the grade.

It does have a trans cooler in the front, looks to be about 12"x12", I don't plan on running up this grade every weekend, just every now and then.

would an electric fan help, or just leave it as is?

Rickf1985

240 is still acceptable but you are starting to get up up to the top end of the safe scale. The fact that you are climbing in temps like that would lead me to believe that the torque converter is unlocked during that climb. Just noticed your note of 2nd gear, it would be unlocked. I would look for a stacked plate type of cooler with a fan since you are towing in those kinds of conditions. And change your transmission fluid at least once a year as long as you are running over 220 degrees on any kind of regular basis. If you have a drain plug in your pan use that or put one in and you will not have to go through that nightmare every time. You will not need to be changing the filter anywhere near that often so a plug would be good so as to not have to deal with the mess and new gaskets.

Froggy1936

Auto Trans temp. 150o minimum operating temp, 175o to 200o is normal operating temp, Steady 195o oxidation rate is doubled, 275o temporary is maximum, oil is cooking, Steady 300o major damage is happening. The 4L80E has a permanent (reuseable forever) rubber pan gasket with metal spacers in ea bolt hole to prevent overtightening . I have a 1995 4L80E in my 1977 Mini w 5.7 eng Grossing 11200 lb . On long grades it will get up to steady 245o Also I have a large oil cooler (a condenser from a commercial air conditioner) And an electric fan . It wont get above 3rd gear no lock up to maintain 45 MPH  @ 2200 RPM Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

CJ7365

Thanks for both replies, that is a good idea about the drain plug, I should of done that when I changed the oil n filter a couple months ago.

Thanks for the temp break down, and yes that gasket on the 4L80E is the best gasket ive dealt with.  all gaskets should be made like this.

There is already the stock sandwich cooler mounted, I am going to get a pusher fan I can mount on it, hook it up to toggle switch, and well see how that works.

LJ-TJ

Well, I put a trans temp gauge and an oil temp gauge in my rig. They've been in for about a year now. Seems the oil temp and the trans temp run about the same. On average around 180-185 at around 55 mph flat smooth running. On hot days at 65 mph they start to climb up to about 200-210 but that's working the rig hard on the interstate. Hm?

LJ-TJ

Has anyone put a drain plug in the pan of a 727 Trans? If so does anybody have any pictures and how'd you do it. Thanks Hm?

legomybago

You can just pick one of these up
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSMISSION-PAN-727-DEEP-or-DODGE-47RE-TORQUEFLITE-W-DRAIN-PLUG-CHRYSLER-DODGE-/231648475879?hash=item35ef533ae7&vxp=mtr

Or, if your really bad to the bone
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUBLE-DEEP-ALUMINUM-TRANSMISSION-PAN-727-A518-46RE-DODGE-RAM-/111688455024?hash=item1a01269370&vxp=mtr

You can buy just the plug and install yourself, but transmission fluid is the hardest fluid to prevent leaks from happening, very high detergents. I like the idea of a factory built bung. MO
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

WOW! I like door number 2. Thanks Mate. Have to save up for a bit but sweet.

Rickf1985

I welded a 5/16 nut to the inside of the pan, drill a hole down through the nut and put a short 5/16 bolt on the outside with an o-ring on the bolt. Been on my Jeep for 20 years, cost, nut and bolt from bolt bucket and an o-ring from kit. OK, you may have to buy a pack of o-rings for a buck. Every once in a while I replace the o-ring. If you get real fancy and chamfer the hole on the outside just a bit the o-ring will sit in there and never have to be replaced. Actually it may have been a 3/8 nut and bolt but you get the idea.

CJ7365

LJ-TJ

Ok not meaning to be a smart bum here but if you drain the tranny is there not still tranz fluid left in the torq converter? Hm? If so how do you clean that out at the same time. Or may be I'm totally wrong on that thought.

Froggy1936

The drain plug kit that CJ7365 has listed Most anybody with a good drill and bits can install (make sure there is clearance inside where you choose to install)  TJ the best you can do is drain 1/2 of the convertor (top half) By letting it drain overnight or longer Till dripping stops (might take a week) There is a way to install a plug in the TQ but I would not attempt it Clearances are extremely close and once drilled You may need a new one ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

legomybago

Some Mopar TC's have drain plugs like Ford. Take your inspection cover off and rotate the engine around and look at yours. You can drill a hole in them and use a pop rivet to seal the hole off, but I wouldn't worry about doing that.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

Thanks Frank I hear yeah! By the way thanks for the oven hood light switch when we got together in Thompson Ohio at Sands RV. Wish more guys could meet us there at Sands. Maybe next year. :)ThmbUp

CJ7365

Quote from: LJ-TJ on August 19, 2015, 03:28 PM
Ok not meaning to be a smart bum here but if you drain the tranny is there not still tranz fluid left in the torq converter? Hm? If so how do you clean that out at the same time. Or may be I'm totally wrong on that thought.

Yup your right, so your only draining about 1/2 of the fluid, I loved the TC drain plug on my friends Ford 350.

I guess half is better than none

CJ7365

I found this pan, with a drain plug, temp sending unit bung, and it has coolers, not too shabby for $130

claims to lower temps 20-50 degrees what do you guys think? 

http://www.amazon.com/Derale-14207-Transmission-Cooling-4L80E/dp/B004XONSV2

M & J

Did you read the reviews? Only 2 positive, the other 4 complained about quality control or fitment and no noticable improvement.
Need to be very cautious about aftermarket stamped pans.
M & J