Sources for 8 x 17.5 Tires, shocks, valve stem extensions

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 28, 2008, 10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 11/7/2003 9:49 AM

Just wanted to let anyone who is interested know that if you are either in the military or retired military, you can go through the AAFES web site and order 8 X 17.5 radial tires for around $112.00 each plus shipping!  They are Yokohoma tires and they ship directly to your house, my total for 6 new radials was $762 (inc. S/H)!  Just have to get them mounted.

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 11/7/2003 11:46 AM

Great tip.

For those non-miltary, I picked up the same tires from www.tirerack.com for around the same price.   They are great looking tires.   I  have only drove tem around 1000 miles so far so I can not report on performance but I hear they are good.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/8/2003 8:46 AM

Hey Dave, your exactly right!  Tire Rack is where the Exchange got my tires too.  I can't wait to drive on radials and get rid of these semi-square bias plys, lol.  Hopefully they will clear up the rest of my occasional wandering I get cruisin down the road!

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 11/8/2003 9:25 AM

My chieftain has a set of yokohama raidial s , I don't know how many miles are on them but there is still plenty of tread ,seem to be wearing evenly , and the sidewalls are in exelent shape .It was one of hte strong points considered when I purchased the rig , knowing it neede work elswhere and I didn't wat tire$ to be my first investment . I knew the PO before he died so I know they are over 5 years old . he kept it in a barn with a cement floor so that probably helped . his wife left a list of investments in the winne and tires weren't on it . I heard the are a good choice also .---  Sea Hag

Sent: 11/8/2003 10:53 AM

I went to 6 new radials from mix of Radials on front and bias on the back.  New Yokohama radials are very smooth and track well down the road regardless of surface changes. 

I also upgraded shocks to set of Bilstien which are said to be the best available to help with handling.  Sway seen from passing Semi-trucks is greatly reduced and bounce when driving over freeway over-passes is not noticed any more.  RV is much more stable but I am always looking for ways to improve ride.

I am now running 60 PSI in all 6 tires and that seems to help also.  In an effort to keep Tire PSI consistent, I have installed Valve Stem caps that show green when over 60 PSI and change to yellow and Red if under 60 PSI.  All this in a effort to improve control of RV.

I am considering some sort of steering stabilizer and/or air springs in my quest for the best ride, but first wife (of 30 years)  is starting to notice my little investments, so not sure when/if these next steps will be taken.

Well ... only $$ ...  and still have less invested than the amount I would have paid for Washington State sales tax only on a New Motorhome (but I love the New Winnebago VW Rialta) .

Happy Classic WinnebaGOING to all.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/8/2003 2:46 PM

My rig had an even mix of Yokohamas and Michelins the same age.  The Yoko's wore less, cost less, rode better and the sidewalls lasted better than the Michelins.  Now I have all Yokos and the ride is greatly improved.

- Sob

Sent: 11/8/2003 3:37 PM

Dave,

Do you happen to remember where you got your multi-colored air pressure checking state of the art valve stem caps?  Sounds very useful!

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 11/8/2003 7:35 PM

SOB ....

Bilstein Shock info below:

http://www.shox.com/appguide/shoxshop/index.php
$289 + $13 shipping
800 683 2890
Front Part Number 1318
Back  Part Number 1319

Dave

Sent: 11/8/2003 7:40 PM

Mark ....

See below link for Tire Valve Stem Cap that display PSI Status...

http://www.borgtiresupply.com/

They seem to work well but just installed this week.  I went with 60PSI Model.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/8/2003 8:05 PM

Thanks Dave,

You know, when I bought the Winne-Beast, one of the front shocks was just hanging loose at the bottom!  The bolt and all was gone.  PO never noticed (guess he never looked under there often).

- Sob

Sent: 11/8/2003 8:07 PM

While on the topic,

Is there such thing as a valve extension that will make it possible for a human being to add air to both rear wheels while they're still on the vehicle? - Sob

Sent: 11/8/2003 10:42 PM

I have extensions on my 83 brave. they are steel braid hoses that screw onto the valves, and then the other ends are attached to brackets that bolt to the center caps.I have seen these kits at truck stops, and my local RV parts shop. Makes it very easy to add air.  CaptainVideo

Sent: 11/8/2003 11:31 PM

See

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm?deptID=&subOf=133&prodID=1827

Campingworld sells the extensions mentioned by CaptainVideo.  These are the best but I believe they have no air PSI til you check PSI so would not work with Valve Stem PSI caps.  So I bought the rubber hose model that is also from campingworld.  See

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptID=5&subOf=133,34&skunum=6217

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/9/2003 12:07 AM

Captainvideo,

I guess I have a bit of a dilemna.  My hubs have covers on them; I guess I can't secure the stems then, unless.... I drill a hole in the covers for the bracket. - Sob

Sent: 11/9/2003 12:44 AM

Exact reason I am selling my 17.5" covers and going with chrome lug covers.

Dave

Sent: 11/9/2003 10:48 AM

Hi Dave, I like the idea of using valve caps to indicate the pressure inside. Especially for the rear duals, as they are usually hard to get to unless you have valve extenders. Could you post where you got them? I would like a set for mine. Thanks, Lefty

Sent: 11/9/2003 11:24 AM

See my two messages above for source for both PSI Valve Stem caps and Rubber Extensions .

Got the PSI Valve Stem Caps from http://www.borgtiresupply.com/

Got Extensions from CampingWorld

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?deptID=5&subOf=133,34&skunum=6217

I just installed so can not tell about durability ...  The Valve Caps seem accurate.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/9/2003 11:50 AM

Those pressure indicators are too cool.I gotta order me some too.Thanks for the tip
BooBoo

Sent: 11/13/2003 6:57 AM

Got the new set of  Yokohoma tires in on Tues, got them installed on Wed ($20 a tire, mounted & balanced, not to bad!).  BonneauBago looking great with new shoes all the way around.  Now we can travel loooooooooong distances! Wooohooo!  Now I just need to paint my rims up nice and purty like Dave's! Wish I would have had the time to do it before new tires were put on though.  Oh well, have to make a template to keep tires black. lol

Mark
BonneauBago

Sent: 11/13/2003 12:24 PM

My little secret to painting wheels is to use a good brush and Derusto Paint.  From 3 feet away, wheels look good and I really don't want anyone closer than 3 feet away anyway...

Also Rubber extensions from Wheel Master (Camping World) are cheaper than the Nicer Stainless Steel model and have constant pressure to the Valve Stem cap which is needed to make the PSI Valve Stem trick work.  A set of  4 rubber extensions plus 2 angle extensions cost around $35.

Dave Beatty

Sent: 11/13/2003 8:28 PM

Dave, Thanks for the tips, I hope to get the valve caps next week. Lefty

Sent: 11/18/2003 10:11 PM

Mark,
Could you please give me the numbers on your new tires! I have called every tire place in town and noone knows what 17.5-17" tires are, except one place said that they could order National brand tires at $99 each. Not bad but they are only bias, not radials. I want Yokahamas and they are not coming up on anyone's "computer"! We too would like to go Jamestown, but we are 1600 miles away- definantly need GOOD,NEW, TIRES!!

Shagebago
Sherri

Sent: 11/19/2003 6:19 AM

for shagebago: Are your wheels 17inch, with the split rim and 5 bolts, or are they 17.5, with 8 bolts? If they are the split rim type, the tires are 7.50 by17 inch, and can be either bias or radial ply tires, and would need an inner tube and boot or wheel liner - split rims must have inner tubes. You can put tubeless tires on them, as long as you use an inner tube too. The 17 inch tires on my 72 D22 are Tornel brand, made in Mexico, and have carried me many thousands of miles. I get them from a place that does mostly truck tires, and even so they have to order them and the 17 inch inner tubes - arrival takes 3 to 10 days. 16 inch inner tubes can be used too. I dont know if Yokohama makes 17 inch tires. If you have the 17 inch split rims you also have the 5 bolt Budd wheels, nice and original but some tire places decline to work on them. If you absolutely must have one-piece modern wheels, they do exist, are made of aluminum, and take 19.5 inch tubeless tires. denison

Sent: 11/19/2003 6:21 AM

And the modern rims will fit the 5 bolt Budd hubs. denison

Sent: 11/19/2003 7:07 AM

Sherri,

I don't have the exact stock number for the tires, I do know that they came from the Tire Rack.  http://www.tirerack.com  You will have to call them or email them because the 8 X 17.5 tires aren't listed on their webpage.  They ship pretty quickly though, I ordered mine on Friday and UPS delivered them the following Tuesday.  $90 to ship six tires that size! What a deal!  Anyway, hope this helps.

Mark
BonneauBago
Bonneau, SC

Sent: 11/19/2003 8:45 AM

Sherri,

Here's what I put on in June:  8R 17.5 LT, Super Steel 785R.

- Sob

Sent: 11/19/2003 10:09 AM

You have to go to tirerack.com Search by tire brand (Yokohama) Choose 'Complete List of Yokohama tires' Scroll down on the left side untill you get to Y785R You will find the 8R17.5's there.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/yokohama/yokohama_all.jsp

Sent: 8/20/2004 8:34 PM

Problem with PSI displaying Valve Caps ( green 60, Yellow 55, Red under 50 ).

Well ... When I got home from Great NWCWJ, I parked MISS TANK and hit the sack.  To my surprise the next morning I awoke to a flat driver front tire.  The tire was totally deflated and off the rim.  I called in on my USAA Roadside policy and to my surprise, the flat repair is coverd even if it is in my driveway.  So the repair truck arrived with the air tools to remove the tire.  The repair guy removed the tire and searched for a hole and could find none.  He replaced the metal valve stem thinking that might be the leaker, but then when he screwed on the special PSI displaying valve cap, he noticed that there was a hole in the middle of the plastic PSI Displaying Valve cap between the 6 and 0.  I contacted the supplier and they are send a free replacement and they asked me to return the defective one for investigation.  But now I am concerned about a thin plastic cap as the only thing between me and flat tire or a blow out. 

Since I told the Winnebago team about these wonderful devices, I thought best to warn the Team of the possible failure.

Has anyone else had any problems with these PSI Displaying Valve Caps ??

Be careful out there ... It is a jungle.

Dave Beatty
beattyd@yahoo.com

Sent: 8/21/2004 1:03 AM

One very important lesson I learned in 30 years of playing with truck tires... never use extensions.  They will leak every time, eventually.  What I have found is that, for dual wheels, the "Cross Fire" and "Cats Eye" equalizers work great.

Both work on the same principle... they equalize air pressure between both tires in a dual set, but "lock down" pressure in the good tire should the other one spring a leak.  They both give a visual indication of tire pressure, so you can tell at a glance when they need air.  They mount on a wheel lug, under the nut on a bracket, and have a steel reinforced air line that goes to each valve stem.  You must order the proper one for your inflation pressure; they cost around $50 each.  They are available at any truck dealership (Freightliner keeps them in stock constantly; the others may have to order them) and many truck stops.  They give you a visual indication of a low inflation condition, and give you a central fill point for the set of duals -- no more trying to force the air chuck onto a slightly out-of-line valve stem, or trying to get your hand through that little hole in the outside rim.

For the steer tires, the only real SAFE way is to check pressure every time you fuel; it only takes a couple of minutes to hit each steer tire with an air gauge.  My tire gauge has a home in a pouch right next to the coach door -- every time I exit the coach for fuel, I grab it and check tire pressure first.  Then I pump my fuel.

As a tip, make sure that every valve stem has a metal valve cap; the plastic ones will do in a pinch, but have a tendency to loosen too easily when the tires are warm.  Metal ones take the heat better, and will not loosen until you loosen them.  If you install the equalizers I mentioned, make sure each one has a metal valve cap.

John

Sent: 8/21/2004 6:15 PM

Thanks for the advise on Crossfire and Cat's Eye for the rear tires.  Cat's Eye maybe the solution I go to but I would really like a solution that includes front tires also.

During a search on the internet ( I laid up with a broken ankle, so I had nothing better to do ) I found a new solution to do a constant monitoring of tire air pressure from the dash board without installing a device inside of a tire.  The device is called PRESSUREPRO and made by  Doran.  I have attached photos of the unit that plugs into 12 volt and the device that replace the valve stem caps.

http://www.doranmfg.com

Best prices I could find are shown on this website

http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT68502/sc.2/category.6/.f;jsessionid=ac112b1c1f4334266f92c52f446e92adb69657759401.qQvJq2PEmlnva30P-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmTbgbNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3iIqQvJq2PEmlnva30P-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOxahqObN0Pc3ySa2b48QvJpkixn6jAmljGr5XDqQLvpAe_

Prices are steep.

$275 for 4 tires
$375 for 6 tires

I am personally paranoid about tire pressure so I will continue my investigation of the subject on the web but will likely make the investment in the Pressurepro or a similar solution.

Nothing to good for MISS TANK.

Happy Winnebagoing to all.

Dave Beatty
beattyd@yahoo.com

Dashmonitor.JPG   Caps.JPG   

Sent: 8/22/2004 9:10 PM

I have had good luck with the valve stem extensions I have on my dual wheels. At least 13 years of good luck, and they definitely make it easier to check the air pressure. Maybe its my wheels - the 17 inch split rim wheels having bias ply tube type tires. The stem of the inner tube comes out and makes a 90 bend, to lie close to the wheel, and recessed back in about an inch from being flush with the side of the wheels rim. It was very hard to check air pressure, even with the air chucks and tire pressure gauge I got for the purpose - it took one for the inner wheel, a different angle for the outer wheel, that I installed the extenders. I check my tire pressures at the beginning of each vacation. I consistently lose about 15 psi in a year - dropping from 75 to 60 psi for instance over 11 months. While on the vacation, I check all of my tire temperatures with my palm each time we stop. This probably averages 6 times a day. I would check the pressures again -first thing in the a.m.- if a tire was running warm the day before. Now that I am discarding the tires which have been on the rig since I bought them in 1991, I will be replacing the extenders, and the inner tubes, which are also 13 years old. I have never had a close look at the valve stems on the one piece wheels - maybe they are easier to get to when mounted as duals. 

Sent: 8/26/2004 12:29 AM

I have heard of Doran... the really BIG heavy-haul rigs use these items to monitor tire pressure on all 40 or more tires.  But I think that this is a really expensive way to get out of a 5 minute check once every couple of days.  I don't mean to sound critical... I just have better things to do with my money than spend that much to keep from having to check two tires occasionally.  When you have 40+tires, the investment is definitely cost effective -- but for only two tires??  Not in my opinion, at least.

Don't completely believe their claim to resist outside radio interference... most of the time it is true, but they operate in the "WiFi" band and, with the increased use of wireless data communications, this will become more and more untrue.  And, when you go within 500 feet of another vehicle that is using them, you will get conflicting readings -- whenever you are within range of sensors used on another vehicle, you will get those signals as well.  You will see your display flash differing readings, and if you are not prepared for that, it can be a bit disconcerting to see a tire that normally runs at 80 psi go to 120+ psi!

John

Sent: 8/26/2004 12:50 AM

Thanks for the input and reality check. 

As you mention... the PressurePro tire pressure monitoring device is a luxury item.  But hey ... I am just dreaming. 

My future may include a Blue Bird PT40 and it sounds like these could quickly and directly transfer from MISS TANK to a PT40...    But my Blue Bird Retirement Coach is at least 5 years away.  I will likely go with the Cat Eye system for the rear duals on MISS TANK and these too could transfer to my Blue Bird Retirement Coach. 

Secret plan (wife not aware):  I may keep my 19 ft MISS TANK as a companion to  the retirement 40 ft Blue Bird to use as a mobile Computer Room/Office ....  Always need a backup RV .. right ???

Dave Beatty
beattyd@yahoo.com

Sent: 8/26/2004 10:14 PM

Theres nothing wrong with dreaming... I just wish my wallet could support even some of my dreams!  Oh well, maybe when I win the lottery one day.

Yes, the Cats Eyes or Crossfires can be quickly transfered to the PT40 -- the only tools required are a lug wrench and a 7/16" box end wrench.

I like the backup RV idea... hey, you could alternate using them.  Take MISS TANK out one trip, then the PT40 on the next one.

John