Reuse of Brake shoes and hardware

Started by Arberg0, November 29, 2008, 10:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arberg0

From: 54PrairieSchooner (Original Message) Sent: 4/28/2005 9:56 AM

Question: Should I keep my shoes?  My brake shoe specs are .258 inches. I measure with a ruler and they are right at .250, measured from the inside of the shoe (metal part) to the outside wear surface. They look to be in good shape; rivets are at least 1/8 below surface. Parts are stamped "Bendix" and some paperwork from PO indicates he was pricing brake parts with the words "Bendix" on listing, so its likely he redid the brakes.  Also, should I just keep the hardware? It has some surface rust and the paint is no longer on the parts..I have the type of shoe pins that are "hooked" at the end and connect to the loop on the end of another set of springs on the shoes. Don't have the common type with an axial spring on the shoe pin and a twist-lock retainer.

R/John

John,
I'd take the shoes and the parts into a parts store and compare what new ones looked like, (won't cost you to just to compare)....if the new ones are signifently better, I'd go with new (especially on the shoes)... You don't want to get only one or two more years out of the job you're doing now..and have to replace in the short term..Now If they look near the same.....Then I'd keep what I have....The other parts if not damaged should clean-up and can be re-painted....I'd would get a new brake spring kit...and new bearings & races if the bearing show any pitting at all...If your brake springs are the originals and real rusty...get new....also replace the rubber hose, rubber even if it looks OK... after some time rubber lines may become damaged inside, (You can't see the damage) and collapse...this will let fluid through to open the shoes, and appy the brakes, but won't let the fluid back to release them....and you don't want to drive (if brakes are not locked up) with too heavy a shoe drag with the price of gas today....Just my thoughts.....
Timmy

Timmy, thanks. Good advice and I'll consider it. I talked to Geoff at Alretta, and based on my measurements, my shoes are in pretty good shape, but a side by side comparison would be good...I think a new hardware kit is in store and @  $14 per axle is cheap. I will have to get a new star wheel assy, but the good news is that it IS still available thru Alretta and NAPA. I have a late production '72 M300 that uses a cup at each end of the star-wheel and the wheel itself has 40 or so teeth. The one that is unavailable is 71 and earlier with larger/less teeth and a slotted fork in one end to slip over the brake shoe.  $24 for an entire adjuster kit which includes new wheel assy, cable, adjuster spring etc.  Not too shabby!

R/John

If you take your brake parts into a store and find they have the correct new parts in stock - let us know which store that is. Usually they need to order-up any scarce parts, and perhaps pre-paid. Im not complaining though; I dont expect any business to have parts on the shelf with a very low turn-over.
I just replaced the muffler: 7" dia. x 32' lngth, dual 2.5" i.d. inlet, 2.5" i.d. outlet, for the 413 exhaust. The place I went to had a listing to match, and their computer showed they had sold one in the prior 2 years! Mine was shipped in from their wholesaler in N. Carolina in 3 days. I was delighted to get it.

John...That's great that your adjuster is still available....."Geoff Knows Brakes"......I just got 4 (new)rear wheel cylinders, new rubber rear brake hose, new spring kit, hub seal kit, my shoes are in great shape, If they weren't, I was faced with having to re-line them, but ware on them was negligable...so they'll do for many more moons....I'm also repalceing the rear wheel bearings, one was pitted pretty bad and one of the races was stuck inside the drum....I do not want to have to do this job again, hopefully, for a long, long, long time.....Good Luck with yours.....
Timmy

John...

Was that was a front or rear brake adjuster kit that ya got ? I been unable to find a front kit for my '72 M375 with 14" drums up front. Thanx.

Robert Donley
Jenison, MI

Rob, sorry for the delay..I have been out of town for a couple of days. The adjuster kit was for my rear brakes. I'm not sure about the M375 chassis, but Geoff would know at Alretta; in the meantime, I'll see what I can find in the manual..I think the 375 chassis used dual wheel cylinders and that may make a difference.

R/John

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson