How Do You Install A Fuel Pump on the 413?

Started by khantroll, April 11, 2016, 10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khantroll

Hi all,

Yesterday, I tried to replace the fuel pump on my rig. It has the 413 engine in it. The old fuel pump came out without too many problems, however when I went to install the new one things got weird. I slid the pump in, and neither hole lined up. It seemed like it was sitting too high. So, I remembered a post I had read on here saying to bump the starter. I tried that, and I got no change, and even stranger the only arm I saw didn't seem to be moving.

Finally, I decide to use the bolts to try to line up. I pushed the bolts through the gasket, and started the bolts. I alternated between the two bolts, trying to cinch it down evenly, when suddenly I heard this sickening "sprang!" sound. I took it back off, and found I had cracked the cast metal housing on the new fuel pump.

So, I've got another on order, and it will likely be next weekend before I get a chance to mess with it again,but I was wondering if anyone else had ever had a similar issue? What did I do wrong?

Thanks!

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

khantroll

Awesome link Lego! I tried to lift up on the shaft, but I didn't understand to try to push it backwards. Thanks!

hemi354az

FYI - the mechanical fuel pump on a 440 mounts the same as on a 413.
All Mopar B (361,383,400) and RB (413,426W,426H,440) mechanical fuel pumps mount the same.
Pump ON ! Lou #120 in Aridzona.