Leaf Springs - Should I replace these?

Started by solracem, May 10, 2016, 09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

solracem

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 27, 2016, 06:26 PM
As has been said many times now, You have to have it weighed. The springs you are looking at will give you between 8,200 and 9,000 lb. rear axle weight MAXIMUM. What is the rear GAWR on the sticker on your vehicle? Probably higher than that. You want the springs to have a higher load rate than the axle but not too much higher or it will ruin the ride. You also have to check the spring eye to eye length because some of these motorhomes used a different length spring. I had mentioned before that it looked like your springs had already had two leaves added. There are a lot of different things that go into springs. The thickness of the leave is a main factor. thinner leaves means you can use more leave and get a smoother ride but if brute strength is needed then thicker leaves and fewer of them is what you want. You cannot go buy just spring count since different thickness means different spring rate. Let me put this in perspective, The springs you are looking to buy are rated at 4100 lbs. That is 50 lbs. lighter than the springs on my 96 Ford F350 single wheel pick up!

That is why I say you need to get it weighed. I went through Stengels chart and that is what a P30 calls for but it does not mention motorhome. The very next year has the ten leaf springs which is probably what you have on there and they are rated at a lower weight, not to mention they have a 5/8 spring eye instead of the 9/16 you should have. If that was changed you will have to see if they drilled your spring mounts or changed the spring bushings. It would have been quicker and easier to drill the mounts so you have to be sure on that. Check the bolt head sizes, a 9/16 bolt will normally be a 13/16 wrench size and a 5/8 bolt will be a 7/8 wrench size.

If you put those springs on and you do not like them then you will be out  the money and then you will still need to have a shop do the job. They are not going to give you your money back once the springs have been installed. Also keep in mind all of the other items you need when doing that job, new spring U-bolts. New spring bolts if the old ones don't come out. ( happens a lot). New shackles or frame mounts of old ones are bent or rusted. The U-bolt and spring bolts should be bought new no matter what so just add that into the price. The other stuff, you may or may not need it, they will have it in any spring shop but again, if you find you need it then you are waiting for it to come in.

Looking at how flat those other springs are all I can say is weight it and if it is overloaded you need to get it within the rated weight and then and only then take it for springs.

If you do decide to get the springs and do it yourself and you do find the hole were drilled let Stengel know and they can give you the right springs and put the correct bushings in to match the hole in the bracket, then have them send you the 5/8 spring bolts.

Rick - Will do. I've just been waiting to get it weighed because I haven't had it inspected. However, I just had that done successfully this weekend. I'll be getting it registered tomorrow and then will load it up and get the weight.

When you say "You want the springs to have a higher load rate than the axle but not too much higher or it will ruin the ride." Do you know about how much higher? Any percentage or suggestion on rating weight above I should plan on asking for when I get the work done?

Also, I'm planning on having the springs done the first week of July.

Rickf1985

That is getting a bit out of my area of expertise, That is why I would take mine to a spring shop. They have all of the charts and knowledge of the different spring rates. What it had stock is not always what they may suggest. Too high of a rate and it will ride like an empty box truck, which by the way is what the chassis is. Too low of a rate and it will continuously bottom out. I do not profess to know those numbers.

legomybago

Quote from: BrianB on May 10, 2016, 10:05 AM
From my experience - my springs looked like yours, so I replaced them (search for the thread here that I started). Once I got the new ones in, they had the same "negative" arch, but maybe not as bad. I also replaced the rear airbags.

Based on that, I would say that your springs are probably ok especially if you have good airbags to help out. I can't speak to the kit you linked to. My only thought is that at $400 for that kit, you could spend $200 more for new leaf springs.

I agree with this person....I'm not sure why you think you need to replace your leaf springs? Does it go down the road sideways/leaning or something? A lot of springs have negative arch.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy