Dash wiring mess. Some gauges & controls work, others don't

Started by MSN Member, December 01, 2008, 05:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 11/9/2007 5:44 PM

I've got a mess on my hands. For the last two years, I've been dealing with a dash that doesn't really work. Speedometer/odometer, tach, and the manifold vacuum sensor all work. The lights do, the turn signals do and the wipers.

Nothing else.

I've got a 1973 Winnebago Cheiftain. I've been looking all over to find schematics or anything that will help me get this before it catches on fire or something. I've run out of gas a few times also...
Here are some pics of the situation:
http://www.thehobosoul.com/blog/?p=333

It's bad.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Sent: 11/9/2007 10:28 PM

Download the Dodge manuals from the Members area. They contain the wiring schematics you need.

Sent: 11/10/2007 12:11 PM

Jeff,  Since everyone has a different level of comfort under the dash I think I would start with the wires that are burned up first.  Be sure to use larger (heavier) wire than what is there and don't be cleaver and use all the same color of wire.  I did look at your pictures and the white block with a burned wire.  Mine had the same burned wire and you can just disconnect the bad wire and wire around it. Best of luck,  Les

Sent: 11/10/2007 2:50 PM

Thanks for the help so far--I had downloaded the manuals--just hadnt yet found the schematics. Which I have at further look. You think it's easier to take the whole dash apart to get at it, or just tackle it from beneath?

Sent: 11/10/2007 6:05 PM

Jeff,
Without knowing your expertise level it really would be hard to say.
If you are the type that can disassemble something and then remember, or figure out, where everything re-attaches as long as a few weeks later, then you might find it easier to work on it in a disassembled state. It will certainly give you better access to re-routing the wiring, as well as better visability while you work. But, it can be real hard to figure out where that odd un-connected wire goes later on. I would advise only tearing it down as much as you need to at first, taking plenty of notes and drawing diagrams of everything as you go. Then, if you cannot see or access an area, disassemble that area only.
Personally, I try not to remove more than I absolutely need to, and even then, I try removing pieces in as large a section as I can as one piece. Such as removing the entire dash with everything attached, then working on it on a workbench. Later, I can then re-install the entire dash and I'm done. Less small pieces to figure out is much better.

Sent: 11/12/2007 5:02 PM

There's going to be two of us working on it, so we'll probably attempt to remove the dash face, after gathering tons of wires up.
It looks like someone already attempted this...and the rats have also had their way...

Sent: 11/12/2007 7:22 PM

If I might be so bold as to say I am having similar problems and have been working on my panal for several years......one step at a time and one wire at a time. As a electrical neofight I ended up cutting all the tape off the wire clusters so I could follow the indiveduale wires from insterment or switch to where ever it went and fixed it as reqrured. Two things I found that were a big help was to take the "this is what it looks like now" pictures and "this is what it looks like apart" pictures also while leaving all the insturments hooked up I lifted the complete insterment package out of the dash which gave me excellect access to the wireing  under the dash. Have fun and good luck.

Sent: 11/13/2007 1:56 PM

Good suggestion on the pics. That way I don't have to worry about remembering where and how everything goes together.

I'll post some of those...