Need source for new roof vent on 72 Chieftain

Started by Roxyred, January 11, 2017, 04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roxyred

Hi Everyone!

Long time no post! Sewing classes in the Sewbago are doing well, students love the disco ball I added and the funky vintage vibe that only a Bago can provide.

My problem is this: we've had some nasty winds, and the old brittle vent top in the kitchen area got ripped completely off...as in, there's just screen between me and the sky. The metal housing is all intact but fits crappy, I think it is a non winnebago replacement someone put in, as it's just a bit too small for the hole.

So I want to replace the whole metal housing and all, but don't know where to start. I need to get this fixed asap while the weather is nice, as snow in the Bago is bad. Suggestions?? Anyone done this repair before? Help!

Thanks!
Tish

CapnDirk

Tish, not sure if you are talking a standard vent or possible a range vent.  Can you do a picture for us?  By standard I mean that replacements are everywhere, but we're going to need to know the hole size, something like 14 X 14.  Some of the people here that have done this or replaced their roofs may already know, but it would be good to be certain before ordering.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

Check with Sands RV in Ohio. Brad and I picked up two originals there. Fantastic people to do business with. Tell Bob the Canadian sent you. >GRIN<
http://www.sandsrv.com/

Roxyred

Quote from: LJ-TJ on January 11, 2017, 05:38 PM
Check with Sands RV in Ohio. Brad and I picked up two originals there. Fantastic people to do business with. Tell Bob the Canadian sent you. >GRIN<
http://www.sandsrv.com/

Awesome. I'll definitely call them tomorrow.

yellowrecve

Your std roof vent for the last 45 yrs is 14" x !4". the roof hole will be approx 14 1/4 x 14 1/4. The plastic replacement lids are available for most. You should know the roof thickness. The are a few odd balls. Vents that is.  Have I really been doing this for 45 years? Where did the time go.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

TerryH

Bear in mind that yes, standard size is 14 x14. However, there are two distinct models. Vent framing differences are square corners and radius corners. If you have to replace the vent framing and your RV has a radius roof cutout your vent replacement would either have to match or you would have to square off the cutout. If your RV has a square cutout and you try to replace it with a radius replacement you will have a substantial void to fill. Square peg into a round hole, or the reverse.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

HandyDan

There are two "styles" of radius corners.  There is the current style that is just slightly rounded on the corners and is readily available.  But, there is the "Airstream" style, like I have in my Holiday Rambler, that are much more rounded. They are extremely hard to find.  Metal ones can be had at Airstream, but plastic ones are rare.  Taking out the whole vent, inside trim and all, is not really hard and new replacements are available from RV stores.  It's just a matter of taking out screws, but the ones on the roof are going to be covered with gunk.  Good luck!
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

legomybago

You can buy just the plastic cover too. If your framing and hardware etc works fine. They make 2-3 different style hinge designs, so you need to look at what style hinge you have before buying a new cover. This is by far the easiest way to approach your problem. Takes only a few minutes to replace the cover.
Oh...I just now read you want to replace the entire assembly. You already have your answer! ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy