Excellent source for instument panel gauges & more!

Started by class87, December 04, 2008, 12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 7/18/2005 6:35 PM

someone gave me a running 72,the speedo and gauges are gone and I need them,anybody got the set?

Try www.rvdoctorgeorge.com I was there a couple weeks ago and they had more inst.cluster than I could count. I got one for my 79 brave.
  HAL

Sent: 7/20/2005 3:57 AM

Man!  Has this guy got some parts!!!  (and George bears a frightening resemblance to BooBo).

I didn't notice anywhere on the site... does he ship???  Any knowledge of how his prices fare? 

Might be a good addtion to the Resources section.

- Sob

Sent: 7/20/2005 7:28 AM

A '72 can have one of two different instrument clusters!

This is, by the way, all about the '68-73 older style flat dashes, not the '73-84 with round speedo....

Both look the same, but one has round heater and defroster knobs, and the other has rocker switches for these knobs.

There is a plastic outer plate, an inner metal plate and it's screwed on to the dash fom the front with 6 screws. There is NO "dash harness" per-se...the switches are just wired from the chassis lights and accessories. The only "harness" part is the alt/fuel/speedo/temp/oil cluster. The spedometer and Dodge factory gauges are from '66-71 pickup trucks, ice cream trucks, bread trucks and all motorhomes up to '73, but this is only part of the instrument cluster assembly.

Check out the photo albums and determine what parts you need. Keep in mind that if you're pretty good at wiring,  this intrument cluster is a simple as it gets.

I have an instrument cluster, the metal under panel and the plastic outer panel for round heater switches, but no switches or lower gauges.

By the way.... the lower round guages are "your choice" they included the generator hour meter, a voltage gauge, trans temp guage...vacuum guage... but some Winnies came with No additional guages at all! I have a voltage, vacuum and genny hour meter, none of which were included on mine from the factory.

Switches:
All Winnies come with a MOM switch and solenoid, which is sometimes the only switch in the lower panel. Other switches are for: washer, wipers, headlights, panel lights (no dimmer), MOM (dual/single/momentary battery switch), defroster and heater.

Remember to get the dash and harness pieces from a junkyard. And if you have no cluster at all, even the round versus rocker switches won't matter, but it can be an inconvenience when you have the wrong plate versus switches!

Tom 

Sent: 7/20/2005 5:41 PM

My grandparents '73 Indian came from Winnebago with Voltmeter, Gen Hours meter and a fuel gauge for the aux tank.

The switch for the 2 little lights that light up the panel was 2 positions: Low and High.

Of course the voltmeter had a switch to select the truck or house battery, but as I recall was automatically live on the truck system with the engine running. You could still manually check the house battery. My '79 Chieftain only works manually. It doesn't read anything unless I push the switch one way or the other, even with the engine running.

Allan

Sent: 7/20/2005 8:30 PM

I  frequent  the good  RVDr.   He  has  MANY PARTS.  He  also knows  that  MANY  of the  parts are  hard to find,  so he  charges  accordingly. 
If  you have  needs/wants  He  is  about  20 minutes  from my job .
Provide me  with  specifics  and I  might be  persuaded to  go take a  peek.
Almost  none of his stuff  is  cataloged   so everything  is  a snipe-hunt.  Most  is batched  by part  types but thats  about it.
  post  it if you  want it  and I will  have a look.   
or  better  yet,  send me an email directly with a  contact number  and  when I go, I will let you know  if they have  what you need.