Swapping rear axle for disc

Started by PipefitterGuy, April 21, 2017, 12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PipefitterGuy

Hey all.
I have completely renovated my 1975 Winnebago Chieftain 27' on an M500 chassis. I am thinking about replacing the rear axle with a disc brake due to the extra weight. I have two options available. One is a complete Dana 80 rear axle and the other is a 10 bolt GM axle. The guy was saying that some people have used the 10 bolt GM axle on my 5 Bolt current application. Has anyone done this or heard of this being done? I am struggling with renewing my current system or changing the rear end to something else.
Any words of wisdom would be much appreciated.  Hm?

Thanks in advance, Curt.

Rickf1985

A ten bolt is a light duty axle, And they are a semi float design with the bearing riding on the axle. You certainly do not want that. Do you have front discs? There is nothing wrong with drum brakes as far as weight. Keep in mind that you will need to make other changes in the brake system like the master cylinder and the proportioning valve. The Dana 80 is much more likely to have the right size brakes, the 10 bolt will have brakes for a 1/2 ton pickup or a car. Another thing to consider is the E-brake, Is yours on the driveshaft or at the rear wheels?

stanDman111

the dana 80 is far superior  then the gm corporate
but  quite a undertaking either way

PipefitterGuy

Thanks! I think the dana 80 is what I'm gonna go with.  I have the tailshaft brake.

stanDman111

lucky you= things just got a whole lot easer

khantroll

Hi PipeFitter,

If you don't mind me asking, how much is your Dana 80 going for? I haven't found one near me for less then $1200, and I was just curious as to whether that was the going rate universally or Arkansas stupidity.  Hm?

Thanks!

P.S. Can't wait to see how this turns out.