Electric heat add-on for your RV

Started by RV Mech Tech, January 03, 2011, 11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RV Mech Tech

Here is an add on electric heating system to install in your existing heating ducting for your gas furnace- it is a 110 volt heater that installs on the discharge side of your propane furnace plenum and will then give you a choice of using electric or propane similar to other RV appliances for occasional use and especially for full timing in an RV - the website is www.rvcomfortsystems.com    :)ThmbUp

DaveVA78Chieftain

I see that it says you can use 1 system with a 30 amp shore power connection however comma,

How much of that 30 amp service is used by the heating system itself? 
I could not find the amperage requirements listed anywhere on their web site.

Yes, there are creative ways that one could use a 50 amp service in order to distribute the amperage loading.  Just make sure you know what your doing if you do.

Dave
[move][/move]

RV Mech Tech

Dave - according to their website under the ' Features' link it says  " The CH 50 controller is engineered so that it can operate on both 30 amp and 50 amp shore power inputs " - under the 'Features' heading  and I quote " Adaptable to multiple configurations " - if you are intending to use that heating system that indicates you are using it in the cold season and the highest load of the air conditioner will not be utilized so that the available 30 amp system will be available for this additional heating system - I, like you question the electrical aspect of the system - they are not allowing the sale of this system to the general public but only to authorized RV repair centers - my purpose in listing this  on the forum was to give members another idea or concept that they may be able to develop for their own RV - I did notice in the video that the coils did have small ceramic rings and that would indicate that this system is another version of a ceramic 110 volt heater that would utilize the original RV furnace fan to distribute the air through it - an interesting idea - they stated that they would provide installation manuals and specifications to an RV dealer only so that is why you cannot find any specs on the website - the other thing I did not notice is how their heating system would work with a modern RV's 'load shedding' or power management system especially on generator power- this may affect the overall operation of any such system and when I get the info and specs on this heating system I will post again with this info.

DaveVA78Chieftain

RV,
Looking at the web site a little closer and listening to the video, I found 2 things:
1. The system uses both 12VDC and 120VAC (or 240VAC).
2. The ratings are only given for the AC side as follows:
   a. 1800 @ 120VAC = 15 AC amps (30 amp RV)
   b. 3750 @ 240VAC = 16 AC amps (50 amp RV)
   c. 5000 @ 240VAC = 20 AC amps (50 amp RV)

You have to add the dc fan motor amperage to these values for approximate total power (12VDC * 15 amps = 180 watts; 180/120 = 1.5 AC amps that resuls in 16.5 total AC amps.  Thats 100% efficiency so a total of 18 AC amps is more likely on a  30 amp AC based system.
That is in the same ballpark AC amperage range as a  RV air conditioner.

Dave
[move][/move]

ibdilbert01

Math Class Time....

1 kW is 3,413 BTUs (@ 100% efficiency)

a.  1800W = 6,143 BTUs
b.  3750W =  12,799 BTUs
c.  5000W =  17,065 BTUs

Option C seems pretty good, option A is just a little bit more than an over the counter plug in space heater.  I think most overhead RV Air conditioners with a heat strip option are rated ~5500 BTUs.

I wonder if these are just nothing more than an auxiliary heat strip in a box stuck inline of your furnace?
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!