Houston I have a Problem Coleman 9223 Version HRM - SERIOUS Rust!

Started by James E Vining, August 07, 2013, 06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James E Vining

HRM=  HOLY RUSTEDOUT METAL
OMG I just pulled out the Flues from the outer skin and I have some problems.
I will include pics as words do not do justice.

I have an Idea to fix if anyone thinks it would be safe and worth it.

SO I can cut out the rusty nasty bottom here Build a new L shaped Piece that covers entire bottom instead of missing 25%  and get a New Piece of SS or Galvanized Metal and form it ( Bend it) so that it covers the entire hole and goes over the edges say 1/2 " now the problem comes with what to secure it with I do not have a welder (Doubt the metal has teh ability to be welded seeing how it is so rusted out etc.) I could use some JB weld to kinda spot weld the replacement piece on so it does not move when re installing and then I coudl drill out some holes through outer skin and use self tapping screws to secure replacement metal.

What Opinions do any of you have?? is there a way to buy a replacement Flue system like this??

bluebird

Sorry but I'd throw that in the trash, and pick up a good used unit someplace. And it wouldn't be a coleman. I had a coleman in my Itasca and had nothing but trouble with it.

LJ-TJ

Sorry Mate, your toast. I wouldn't play with it. There a lot of those old Colmans in wrecked trailers and motorhomes of our vintage, you should be able to pick another one up for under $50.00. Shoot you'd have about as much in repairing it as if you bought one. D:oH!

James E Vining

Thanks for the Info Guys, Whats so Weird is the Burners, Igniter Coil, and Both the Squirrel Cage Large fan and the small Combustion chamber fan are in great shape just the Other case and this here Combustion Flue doohickey is Toast. so at least I have some decent spare parts in case I find a unit say with a Bad fan or Burners etc.
Just found out my Parents are canceling the Trip up to NE Washington anyway so the Furnace is no longer a priority since in summer time it wouldn't be needed only in early spring or late Aug/Sept would it be a neccesity

James E Vining

Oh Man I was looking for a replacement unit and they are way out of my Price range, Remember I got this MH for free and have seen a few similar years and sizes of Winnebago's selling for $1000-$2000.
I am stuck between a Poor place ($$) and figuring trying to sell the WInne to get a new one would not be worth it as I have more time and Money then I think I could get out of it.
I think seriously I can fix the rusted out spot as long as the burners, fans, switches etc. all work it will only cost me about $12.00 for teh metal to replace the rusted out section.
I will be sure to update post with pics and info on how it goes.

LJ-TJ

Keep and eye out for an older trailer. They didn't just us them in motorhomes. I mean if you keep your eyes open you should be able to pick a unit up for $$$ to $20 to $30 dollars. If yeah don't get in a rush it should be good. You must be a young buck. :laugh:

James E Vining

If you consider 43 to be young, Was that a Compliment or an Insult by the way? ???
Plus I Injured my back in 2008 Ruptured a Lumbar disc and Squashed a Nerve so I am on Disability and unfortunately I cannot work and only get about 33% of what I was making. That is one reason why I have been working on thsi MH since 2008, I do what I can when I can and some days weeks I can't do anything but think about what I need to do LOL  :'(   :'( 
I have looked on Ebay and can't find anything, Unfortunately I have not been able to find any MH wrecking yards around here not to mention it rains so much that anything not totally covered and possibly having any leaks would be Destroyed in a few months.
I grew up not having extra $$ to buy items so I got used to fixing anything I could if it broke it was either fix it somehow or go without so you get real good at fixing things and figuring out how to fabricate fixes.

LJ-TJ

Sounds like you and I came from the same banking school. If yeah get a chance can you get a better picture of the complete unit. I think I know what it looks like. Have you tried Craigs list. A lot of time guys are wrecking or parting out travel trailers or old motorhomes. I say this because I spend quite a bit of time on Craigs list looking for old motorhomes. If you weren't in the State's I might have been able to help you out.

James E Vining

Thanks, I keep forgetting about Craigslist and I used to be on there all the time until I became a E-bay aholic LOL.
Ya Ill get a Few Pics of the unit tomorrow, I still have it apart but I can get a basic Setup of what it should look like.
I need to find a Water Heater too as someone had decided to remove the one in the MH before i got it.
I'm slowly learning that There was quite a few reasons the MH was Free.
I knew nothing about MH's or any Type of TT etc. Prior to a co worker giving me this Winne, One thing though it has been a great learning project I have learned more about Wiring, Plumbing, etc. working on this then any vehicle i have ever Owned so that is a + anytime I can learn new things I am all for it.

LJ-TJ

Well I know it's easy for me to say but be patient. Remember one project at a time and parts will come your way at your price if you take your time. You got to be careful with these old girls, you kind a get attached to them. Sure you spend more money on these old scrapers than you should but if you do it a dollar at a time you never miss it. When you finally roll her out on the road you can't imagination the satisfaction and pride you'll feel and the modest cents of arrogance when you say I fixed it myself. There's tons of guys here will it help you step by step if need.

James E Vining

Thanks, Ya that makes Sense when I was building my Pro-Audio System I took about 2 years and I was able to get Peavey Commercial series amps for around $50-$100 where they are normally $300+ SO I get the concept for me its just dialing it back and being patient when I have good weather and want to get everything done now.
It Starts raining here in a month or so and wont stop until next april ish.
and I hate the rain and working on things in the rain especially anything under the vehicle where you have to lay in the water
What I think I should do if Fix everything Possible that is outside or underneath now then work on the inside during the foul weather and if I have some kinda heater I should be good.

James E Vining

Craigslist Just found an add for many RV Furnaces from $100 so that may be an option I may even change to a suburban or something I'll get the measurements needed to fit it in my MH or possibly if needed and they have the outer cover I can use my sawzall and make the hole larger as longs as i do not hit any Electrical lines lol.

LJ-TJ