Windshields fogging around edges

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 08, 2008, 11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainpine

Sent: 10/16/2003 12:10 AM

The windshields on my 72 brave have white permanent foggings around the edges about 1 1/2 inch. Can I get rid of it? Where can I find replacements? Do others have the same problem and just live with it, the Winne is still driveable. Does anyone else have a 72 brave?  Thanks-  John W- (captainpine)

Oz

That fogging is in the glass and can't be removed.  You can have the glass cut at just about any auto glass place that cuts flat, safety glass.  I got prices for around $80 - $100 each pane.  Having it installed can be quite expensive though.  If you can live with it, or have the time to replace the glass yourself, ok.  Here in PA, it wouldn't pass inspection. 

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Myk-dK

Mine are fogging as well,  the driver side only about 1/2 inch, the co-pilots side about 1 1/2 inches.The co-pilots is also got a crack in it .I'm thinking of replaceing the co-pilot side. Does anyone know if both sides ar the same?, the reason I'm asking is that I would like to put the new glass in the driver side & switch  the drivers glass over to the right. It looks to me like they will swap, the only thing I'm wondering about is there a difference between inside & outside of the glass??
myk

Oz

No difference in the inside/outside of the glass.  But, if you're going to all the trouble of taking the windshields out and replace one with a new one, for about $120 to $150 you can have new safety glass cut to install.  The size should be the same but, overlay your two panes to make sure.  If there is any difference and you want to put in new glass, be sure to mark which side they came out of!  New seals can be obtained through your Winnebago dealer - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

I hate to say it as much as you don't want to here it BUT if your going to take both pieces of glass out, unless the cost is prohibitive replace both at the same time.  Take a grease pencil mark the inside of each window, mark them top and bottom, left and right, and then have them cut to fit.  It will save you a whole lot of grief down the road.
LJ-TJ

Floridabaked57

Sent: 12/6/2003 10:30 PM

Thanks for putting the whole spiel up there Sob. That was most helpful. I have the same problem but it is number 100 on my list of 99 things to do with the monster!!!

John T
'20 F-150
'06 28KRS Kargoroo
'00 Road King Classic
'21 Royal Enfield Himalayan

denisondc

Sent: 12/7/2003 7:29 AM

Since sob has ennobled this topic by bringing it back to the fore, i feel slightly guilty making a lighthearted comment; that the edge fogging will slowly make its way up your list of things to do. I park mine facing east, its nose very close to my workshop. The building keeps the a.m. sun off the windshield, and in the p.m. the glass is out of the direct sunlight. I think they fog faster if they are in sunlight more. denison 

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 12/9/2003 6:41 AM

Other than replacing the window, I doubt there is anything you can do to reverse the fogging of the window other than protecting it from UV rays like Dave noted.  Safety glass has a plastic film between 2 layers of glass.  The glass layers are delaminating from the plastic.  Your seeing the effects of that delamination.

Dave

[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Sent: 12/9/2003 11:53 AM

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure I can explain this rite but the windshield is made up of three parts. A piece of glass, a piece of film material and a piece of glass.  The film material is sandwiched in between the two pieces of glass so when the glass is broken it doesn't fly in your face.When the windshield get so old the seal is broken and the glass ever so slightly starts to seperate allowing moisture to travel up between the film and glass,something like when the seal in a thermal pane window leaks.  This is what causes the discoloring.  I no of know other fix than to replace the effected piece of glass. T.J.