Low point water drain valve

Started by Bnova, June 08, 2024, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bnova

Hello, Been a long time for me on the website and for the motorhome out of the barn!!

Does anyone know if these low point water drains are still available? 

20240608_200408.jpg

RockwoodMike

The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Bnova

Mike, thanks for the reply.

The valve I posted in the pic is in line with the water pump supply line, Which then allows the water tank to be drained.  When pushed to the down position, it allows water to flow through to the water pump.

when pulled up it allows the water to drain out the bottom tube that is attached.

The valve on ebay appears to only have two ports, like on/off valve.

I'm hoping to find a valve to replace this one.  If not I guess it will be time for some plumbing mods.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Bnova on June 09, 2024, 08:40 AMI'm hoping to find a valve to replace this one.  If not I guess it will be time for some plumbing mods

To find an original part for a 30-50 year old motorhome is very difficult.. I was wondering what the problem is with the original?

If it is jammed up with calcium or rust, maybe dunking it in CLR and let it soak for a while might break it loose..

Or it is retrofit time and a trip to the hardware store
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

Bnova

Quote from: RockwoodMike on June 09, 2024, 11:45 AM
Quote from: Bnova on June 09, 2024, 08:40 AMI'm hoping to find a valve to replace this one.  If not I guess it will be time for some plumbing mods

To find an original part for a 30-50 year old motorhome is very difficult.. I was wondering what the problem is with the original?

If it is jammed up with calcium or rust, maybe dunking it in CLR and let it soak for a while might break it loose..

Or it is retrofit time and a trip to the hardware store

It moves up and down nicely, but there's two orings in it and the big fat one that blocks off the drain port is cracked.  I tried a little DC4 grease to see if that would help for the moment, but no-go.

So yeah, probably time for retro fit.

Bnova

Okay, update!!

I didn't realize that you could take the valve apart and re-oring it.  The first time I tried it, the stem didn't seem like it would come out of the housing.

So I thought I would just attach a longer hose to it and put an on off valve outside where the grey/black water drain is.

Took the short piece of hose off the valve and decided to try once again to pull the valve stem out and then it just popped right out!!

So after a bunch of web research, for an oring that is 1/2" OD by 1/4" ID and 1/8" thickness, (and I just measured the OD and thickness with a ruler, and guessed at the ID,so not extremely precise) I came up with Danco #90 faucet oring fits those dimensions.

Went the hardware store in town and they had that oring.  You can easily find them on the web too.

Replace the oring, reassembled the valve, filled the water tank and it looks to be holding.

It drains out right down by the left rear set of wheels.  Would make a nasty mess if parked on a dirt surface.

It was leaking at about one drop per second so if we were parked for a couple dayys, I'd probably need to try and catch it in a bucket.

And I did, after filling the water tank, pull the cork on it and drained some water out and then reset it to the closed position and it looks nice dry still. :)clap

RockwoodMike

:)clap  :)clap  :)clap  :)clap

Maybe you should buy a spare O-ring to have if it splits again..Just tie it with a wire to the pipe next to the valve to store it..

30 years from now you will have it ready to repair again!! :grin:

Bnova

Quote from: RockwoodMike on June 10, 2024, 12:15 PM:)clap  :)clap  :)clap  :)clap

Maybe you should buy a spare O-ring to have if it splits again..Just tie it with a wire to the pipe next to the valve to store it..

30 years from now you will have it ready to repair again!! :grin:

Good idea!