How do I use city water hook-up

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 11, 2008, 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 8/1/2005 1:29 PM

I have a 74 indian. I ordered the owner's manual from Winnebago. The section dealing with city water is whited out, doesn't exist.

I can fill up my freshwater tanks, no problem. What do I do if I just want to use the hose instead of the tanks?

Thanks for anyone that can help me.

Steve

mightybooboo

Sent: 8/1/2005 3:18 PM

Must use a small pressure regulator that screws on hose to winny.  Available anywhere, including walmart and any Rv place.About 6-10  bucks.  Without it ,city water pressure will blow out your lines

BooBoo

OldEdBrady

Sent: 8/1/2005 4:47 PM

1.  Make sure you're using those hoses made for culinary water.
2.  Make sure you have a pressure regulator on the supply end of the hose.

Then you should be OK.  I do that with the Beggar frequently.  Because she sits so far from the water supply, I had to get three of the hoses, though.  It depends of the rig's location and the supply how much hose you'll need--and they usually come in 25' lengths, though I've heard there are longer ones.

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 8/2/2005 5:39 PM

Hmm, I guess I was ambiguous when I posted that.

I have a regulator. I have a hose made for drinking water. The problem is this:

I believe there is a way to hook up the city water and have the hose supply the pressure without filling up the tanks. I know I can just hook up the hose and fill up the tanks and use the pump to create pressure. Is there a valve I can turn to bypass the freshwater tanks and just use the water coming from the hose? That way, at the end of a stay I don't have nearly 500 extra pounds of water I am hauling around.

OldEdBrady

Sent: 8/3/2005 8:57 AM

On my rig, the tank fill is on the rear passenger side.  A hose connection is on the rear driver's side.  If I use the hose connection, the tanks do not fill.  It automatically bypasses the tanks, since the line goes in directly to the water lines, and the pump is on a tee to the side of the lines. Water does not flow backwards through the pump, so no water goes into the tank.

Oz

Mine had a bypass valve.  I could turn it one way and the water, when hooked up to shore source, would simply flow into the plumbing system.
Turn it the other way, and the fresh water tank would fill for use with the on-demand pump.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

SmallDiscoveries1

Sent: 8/3/2005 1:20 PM

Ahaha! Mine has the hose connection and a level guage, which is also a fill cap, I believe. I have not tried to hard to get the guage/cap off, for fear it was not actually a cap. Anyway, if I hook up a waterhose, my tanks fill up. This may be due to the fact my system did not have a pump to begin with but rather a compressor. Thus the switch on the indicator panel inside the coach is marked compressor.

There is now a sureflow pump instead of a compressor. Short of rigging up an extra valve in front of the tanks and pump, if I could even do that, I guess I just have to fill or partially fill the tanks instead, when I am at a campground. The good news is, I have a new, extra pump, still in the box that came with the Winne, in case all the use (yea right) causes it to cease operation.

Thanks all.