Rubber on plywood over existing roof

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 13, 2008, 06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian Chief

Sent: 3/3/2002 9:54 AM

I have read all the messages concerning roof replacement with much interest.
The roof on my '77 Chief puddles and I have a few minor leaks but the ceiling is still in great shape.
Has anyone laid 1/2" or 3/4' tongue and grove plywood over the existing roof, neoprened the joints and then painted/rolled the entire new roof with an acrylic or rubber roofing compound?
This will not add much weight and will keep the costs down,

Any comments?

Barry

R90s

Sent: 3/17/2002 5:28 PM

Hi Barry

I replaced the roof on my winny with 3/4 inch tongue and groove plywood, but what I did was pull back the metal skin and let it hang down over the front and removed all the remaining roof material, my winny is a 73 D20, along the inside of the walls I screwed 2 x 4s with deck screws thru the outside skin and even with the top edge of the wall panels to give me something to screw the plywood down to, since the tops of the walls have little to no wood to screw to. Then put on the plywood, screwed down from the top into 2 x 4s and the cabinets and closets. Put 1/4 in foam insulation on top of the plywood and then stapled down the orginal metal roof, using the orginal metal as a template cut out the holes for the AC and vents and stuff, Then glued down a rubber membrane roof , used orginal metal side trim to finnish the sides and back, used a metal door sill trim for the front edge, put all the stuff back on the roof sealed with silicone and painted it white with acrilic house paint, works Great!!, tight as a drum, strong enought to have a party on the roof with a two dozen people , 2 years now and will proably out live the rest of the MH hope this helps

George