Using Old Aux gas Tank as Grey Water Tank

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 14, 2008, 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FHP_AB1

Sent: 12/6/2003 10:16 PM

Picked up our 73 Brave today and spent the day puttering around. A couple of minor repairs to do...otherwise is really great shape.

On this model, like many others I guess, there is only a black water tank and the grey water drains on the out side of the dump value either onto the ground or into a tote tank. Someone also added an aux fuel tank that is no longer hooked up and hasn't been used for 10 years or longer. I looked down the pipe and it appears to be as dry as a bone and can't smell a thing from the fill tube.

I was thinking of removing it (far rear, center) and installing a grey tank in it's place. But then I got to thinking tonight, why not use the exisiting old fuel tank instead as the gray tank. Like I said, it's dry and no odor and the owner before me had it 10 years and it was disconnect when he got it.

I just wonder if there would be anything left in the tank I should clean out before using it and if so, any thoughts on how to clean the tank. I was more worried about dumping the first few times and not wanting anything nasty coming out. I can't smell anything at all so I can't see there being anything in there. Suppose I could toss a match down and be sure...kidding...

Any thoughts on using it as the grey tank and cleaning procedure if any would be much appreciated.

denisondc

Sent: 12/7/2003 12:38 PM

My opinion: I think a metal tank would rust through pretty quick, especially if it came with the Winny and has had 30 years to corrode already. That may be the reason a prior owner stopped using it, either because it had begun to drip gasoline, or he didn't know about the need to buy fuel filters you can see into, and to change them really often. I would first fill it with water to check whether it leaks or not, and if it doesnt, I personally would want to use it as a fuel tank. Leave it filled for a day for a leak to show up, and since your live in cold weather country, be sure to put enough antifreeze in with the water, maybe one gallon of prestone to 4 of water. It will still be a lot of prestone. If it does leak, you might find a plastic tank to use as a grey water tank in that space instead. I figure the motorhome builders used plastic for the water tanks because it will not rust. And they used metal for the gasoline tanks because at the time I dont think any ABS plastic was approved by the U.S. Dept of Transportation for such use. If you decide to use it for a fuel tank again, be aware that having been unused for many years, there will be a lot of crud that will come loose initially and it may start to leak as a result of your cleaning it. I can give you some recommendations on ways to clean it if you want. Just send me an email, I have cleaned out several unused fuel tanks in antique trucks. denisondc -at- hotmail. com . But type upper case -2- in place of the -at-. If you still want to use it for a grey water tank, I wouldnt worry about anything flammable inside or anything you would need to clean out. Your gray water use would slowly loosen up whatever gross dirt had been lying in there. You would need to install good size drain I think.

denison

Dave1210

Sent: 12/7/2003 1:27 PM

I think that is a good idea, assuming it doesn't leak. You could turn the tank around 180 degrees and use the fill spout opening for the grey water inlet. The problem would be the drain, if you want to stand around for awhile you could use the fuel outlet for a drain but that could take some time if full.

Or I just thought of this while typing, what about flipping the tank over and using the fill spout as a drain and the fuel outlet as the grey water inlet. Your sink or shower may drain slowly but usually while camping we don't leave the water on for very long anyhow. This may work if this tank is the same dimensions all the way around.

Your idea would take some creative plumbing skills but would likely save some money by not have to purchase a tank and straps and mount it. 

I guess the main question is how long will an old fuel tank last before it rusts out.   

mightybooboo

Sent: 12/7/2003 7:03 PM

You could treat the inside with POR-15,but if you did you might defeat the bargain tank aspect.Boo 

FHP_AB1

Sent: 12/8/2003 12:08 PM

It sure doesn't take long on here to get a response. Thanks for the help. When I get a warm weekend I will get under and try and determine if the tanks is pretty solid all round and if so, I'll plumb it in come spring and although it may rust eventually, it will save the tank purchase till then and then I'll already have the plumbing in and just replace the tank. I will also fill it first and make sure there are no leaks. It appears the tank switch (mechanical) is broken so that may have been why the PO stopped using the tank so I may end up with a tank that doesn't have any leaks. Thanks   

pvoth1111

We call our coach "Charlie Brown"

circleD

I think its a great reuse of material. My experience is IF you cut through and add pipes and outlets It could leak. So between time and $ I would take it out and try to sell it then use that money for a plastic tank. Or just see if that black tank can hold all of needs as is. Adding tanks are great if you plumb them correctly.