Furnace Vents to Outside?

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 10, 2008, 02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowrider

Sent: 12/19/2004 1:04 PM

Hi,

I have an '86 Winnebago Chieftain and I've been checking the various systems out. I notice whenever I try out the LP heater it works fine, warms up the coach real nice. But, I also see there is a vent on the right side of the coach which has hot air blowing out when the heater is on. This vent is actually two holes, approximately 2 inches in diameter, mounted vertically in a rectangular chrome housing.

Anyway, is this vent normally supposed to vent outdoors as well as indoors when the heat is on?

Thanks, LR

mightybooboo

Sent: 12/19/2004 2:20 PM

Mine has what looks like a 4"pipe coming out the side wall.So yes,its normal for the heater box flame to vent the carbon monxide laden hot air out the wall of the MH.
BooBoo

Lowrider

Sent: 12/19/2004 4:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, BooBoo.

What you say now makes sense to me. Hadn't thought it through that that the CO2 had to vent somewhere.

LR

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 12/19/2004 8:01 PM

An RV furnace is designed using a heat exchanger.  The propane burner chamber heats up and the blower fan draws air from the interior of the rig and circulates that air over the burner chamber which is then ducted out to the RV (like a home central air system).  The vent on the outside of the RV is both the exhaust and air intake port for the burner chamber.  They are designed this way for safety.   When talking about propane/gas heaters of any sort, you will see the term vented to outside used.   An RV furnace is vented to outside and does not draw from nor exhaust combustion air into the interior of the RV.

Dave
[move][/move]

Sea Hag

Sent: 12/20/2004 11:20 AM

These rigs were at one time pretty tight and a confined space . They use outside air for the burner so it doesn't use oxygen from the inside of the coach ( considered a sealed unit ). Most Modern effieciant household furnaces can be hooked up the same way as newer homes are being built tighter too , with insolation and vapor barriers . Sea Hag