Balancing 360 engine

Started by Clueless Boomer, May 22, 2013, 02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clueless Boomer

The Dodge LA 360-3 engine I'm rebuilding for my 1973 Winnebago is externally balanced w/ weights welded onto the torque converter. I've got the torque converter and harmonic balancer that came along with my salvage yard engine, but it turned out that the crankshaft was bent & needed to be replaced.  I asked the engine remanufacturer if my engine needs to be re-balanced to this replacement crank.  He said, no, our pistons are weight-matched… we’ll re-install your original torque converter and harmonic balancer, and the engine will be in balance, no problem.  (As I understand it, the reason the 360 is inherently out of balance is that Chrysler mounted the wrist pins higher on the piston body to increase the stroke within the original 318 block.)

Do you think what the engine rebuilder is telling me is accurate, or do I need to send the engine to a specialty shop & have its balance verified/restored?   i?? I’d be grateful for your input on an issue that's way out of my league! 
Still, Clueless Boomer

bluebird

If the crank you have is a MOPAR crank, and you use the factory balancer, torque converter, and flex plate it should be good. If you're going to use an Eagle or Scat crank, the rotating  assembly has to be balanced. For high rpm use most engine builders will require the rotating assembly be balanced. It's been a long time since I put my 360 together, but if I remember I had to change the converter when I switched from a 318 to the 360.

Clueless Boomer

Hey, bluebird5750â€"â€"
Thanks for your speedy reply.  And yes, the crank is turned from a MOPAR crank core, one of the forging #'s listed for the 360-3 engine on that block/ head casting # list  DaveVA78Chieftain hooked me up with.  So it should be good, since all the crank components came from the OEM originals on 360 engine/s .  As to the high-rpm use, I can pretty well guarantee that my sons and I learned our lesson on that front. $ D:oH! $ D:oH! $@!#@! I really appreciate your experience & perspective on this critical concern.  BTW, turns out we're both Illini!  Take care.
Clueless Boomer 

bluebird

Yea? What city? I'm on the East side of Springfield. Do our Drag Racing at Havana, Il. Haven't been out this year though. Took off Friday to do the spring clean & wax of the MH. Might just get it done in 4 days if I can hold on that long. :D :D

Clueless Boomer

We're in western suburbs of Chicagoâ€"â€"Batavia.  Back in the day, we spent our Saturdays rooting for a hometown Moline neighbor who raced small block Chevys out at Cordova Dragways. Just from spectating, I can see how that could get into your blood.