What removes the white roof coating, elastomeric or similar

Started by mhtwin987, December 29, 2013, 05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhtwin987

I have to make some repairs to my aluminum rv roof.  There is a portion that has the white elastomeric or similar coating on it.  I tried paint stripper but the white coating just laughed at it.   I had previously sanded some off to make a repair.  Am I stuck with just sanding or is there something that will take this stuff off?  Thanks in advance for any help.

ibdilbert01

Might want to try a paint remover wheel, would be tedious, but I wouldn't think it would harm the aluminum under the coating.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Oz

Sorry but, with all elastomeric coatings, it comes down to scraping.  Good ol RVs require good ol elbow grease.  Use a chemical paint stripper for around roof fixtures and areas you can't get it all off.  You could use it over the entire roof but, the question is... would you want to?  The stuff is just nasty to work with and very unhealthy to breathe and don't let it get in contact with your skin.

If you use a stripping wheel and the roof coating has any pliancy left at all, it's just going to get gunked up in like, 30 seconds.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mhtwin987

Thanks for the responses.  I kind of figured it was down to sanding since I've never seen paint stripper not work before.  No worries.

tiinytina

yes and if you do use anything  liquid even a degreaser/soap  etc.  have someone with a hose standing by on the sides because if it runs down your paint job it resticks there.... when I clean Gone's alum. roof prior to recoating it which I do every 2 years or so... just the oxidized loose stuff likes to restick when scrubbed off. 
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

legomybago

I like to use a wire wheel on a grinder for around fixtures, seems to mow the old cracked stuff right down. Makes kind of a mess, sticks to your pants etc...Can't say I've ever tried stripping a complete roof though..that would be quite a job! :'(
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

mrmuse

Rockwell Sonictool Oscillating Kit w/ Universal Kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/221312518577?lpid=82

Took less than 8 hours to do my D27..

mrmuse

Oz

Took about 10 hours for mine (24').  Just a scraper, a little gasoline on a rag for final wipe offs, and I also got the whole thing re-sealed (indluding Eternabond on all seams and edging) and coated...  in one day.  Oh, and I installed a new roof A/C and vent cover and repaired my bathroom vent/escape hatch with fiberglass repair kit and found and sealed all the pinholes.  I went down to the skin in some places, others, the original paint was still solid and well adhered to the aluminum so I just lightly sanded it.

Once you get the bulk of the old glop off, if what's at the bottom is hard, you can go at it with a power sander or whatever (If it's not, a sander or wheel won't do any good - it's like trying to sand away fresh chewing gum).  On my first 24', I had to scrape through layer after layer of the gooey, useless, silver stuff, just to get to the bottom layer of what must have been black, roofing tar - it took several days to get it all off).  If the surface is all hard, like on my 2nd RV, it should scrape-off pretty easily and a lot faster than sanding.  I just didn't want the extra work of the additional clean-up and worry about possilby sanding through a spot or damaging something else (I'm very gifted at fixing things until they're broken).  The small sanders would be great for cleaning edges and roof fixtures before reinstalling.

The DIY details:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=7
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Just my 2 cents...if its loose and flaking and cracked, scrape or sand it off.  If its hard and well adhered to the roof, leave it alone and just coat right over it after cleaning it really well.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.