Install radiator shroud?

Started by mulletman, July 20, 2009, 01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mulletman

i was wondering my 440 only has a shroud around the fan and i have just seen pics of brave77's rad and it seems like the top of his rad is blocked not letting air over the top of the rad i have a open air cleaner on it and was wondering if i should block the air flow that goes over the rad

Oz

These rigs came with a flexible shroud over the radiator.  Some folks removed them for better air flow over the engine.  Especially those with 440s since they are so large and there isn't much room between the top and the doghouse.  If you've ever placed your hand on it, or even near it, you've notice how much heat radiates from it.

Removing the shroud helps a lot to increase the airflow over the top of the engine, however, it also allows more dust and other stuff in as well... like rain.

With an open air cleaner, I would advise not re-installing a shroud.

I would also advise not to use an open air cleaner.  They're designed for motors with a lot of air space and air flow around them.  There's more air flow into the carburetor using an open air filter, yes, but given the configuration of the engine compartment of a vintage Winnebago, that air is hot rather than cool and hot air reduces performance and efficiency.  Even with the shroud removed, the air over the motor where it's being drawn from will still be hot, especially at low speeds, up hills or idling at stops.

You're better-off using a K&N or similar high flow air filter in an enclosed filter box with the opening directed toward the front.  I have a dual snorkel, OEM air cleaner with intake ducts added and mounted through the radiator shroud to create a true ram air intake.  This is a very cheap modification that cures the hot air intake issue.

I do put a foam, triangular air cleaner on when I want to showcase my motor.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mulletman

my rig is a dual fuel so it has a special air cleaner with a metal plate that drops down when it is running of propane