Firestone rubber roof?

Started by Giles, April 09, 2013, 03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giles

Hi everyone,

read lots of really helpful post detailing how to replace my roof but in the eternal conquest of making my life unecessarly hard I can across Firestone Rubbercover, it looks to be to be mega easy to use, just order the exact size and glue onto the ply, ooh and it is very cheap which is nice

http://www.firestonerubbercover.com/en/home.aspx

Has anybody used this stuff on a house? I can't really see any issues with it apart from the colour, will it be a good thing to try?

Giles

jkilbert

The problem with that product is that it's black and black absorbs heat. Glenn ( gpratt) has a black rubber roof on his coach and compared to my silver roof the heat at ceiling level in his is unbearable.  It's so bad that his A/C will run continuously during the day without much comfort. If you can, stick with a white or silver product.
Greetings from the steel buckle of the rust belt

ibdilbert01

Looks like what I used, not sure of the brand as the neighbor gave it to me.

I used carpet glue to stick it on, pretty easy to work with.    I think it made about half a season before I tore it off and put a white rubber roof on it.    Just as Jkilbert said, the heat was unbearable.    The AC struggled to keep mine cool as well, and mine is shorter than Glenns. 
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

Giles

thanks guys think you have saved me a load of pain, i thought about the heat for about a second but thought as I am in the UK and we only see the sun about twice a year so it won't be an issue with the insulation in the roof.

So glad i asked thanks again