correct battery to relay connection?

Started by BABY GIRL, March 30, 2013, 11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BABY GIRL

hello, here is my problem and i need help.

1985 minnie winnie winnebago.   in the door where the coach batteries are , the 2 batterys tether together then they attach to the coach.

the negative cable goes to the coach and attaches. thats fine. the positve side broke off where it attaches to the relay in that compartment.

what i need to know is which side of the relay does it attach to. anyone can take a picture , draw me a picture so i can get these batteries hook up.

i am affraid to hook it up to the wrong side.

please help
thanks
Jeff

Froggy1936

Jeff it goes to the opposite side of the one that still has a FAT battery cable on it.  Be very careful with that broken end of the battery cable if it touches ground bad things happen . When you remove the nut from the solenoid you should find the pice of broken cable under it   Good luck   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

On pdf page 2 of the drawing you attached it reflects a 3 terminal solenoid (bottom left) hooked up as follows:
A.  Has two 1 gauge black cables (coach battery and generator) and two 8 gauge black cables attached to one large post of the solenoid.
B. Has one 14 gauge purple and one 16 gauge black with whit stripe wire connected to the other large post.  While it is not shown, there would most likely be a large 1 gauge cable from the starter battery to this post also.
C. Has one 14 gauge white wire connected to the small center post.

Do these wire colors / connections help you determine where to connect the coach battery cable to the relay?

Dave
[move][/move]

BABY GIRL

this is the picture from my  motorhome battery  compartment. i show it with the positive near the right but not sure. unhooked engine battery will that keep power from the area?  its not as easy as left and right because the negatve side runs through the wall under coach , not right to the relay. and you also see without the one all the way to the right there is a thick cable on each side already. just dont want to make a mistake.

someone elses picture would greatly help. someone please help uggggh

Oz

Here is a photo of TJ's battery compartment re-wire.  I think this shows the wire routing pretty well since everything is separated and laid out for easier viewing.

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

BABY GIRL

little different, but which cables go to which coach battery posts

thanks for the help
jeff

Oz

Chassis battery positive should be on the left - which should be still connected, from how it appears in your picture (except you didn't say which side the cable came from which you disconnected your chassis battery - I assume it's on the left), which means you should be able to start your RV if the isolator isn't totally fried.

Coach battery positive should be on the right.

Whatever side your chassis batteyr cable was on... the coach battery cable is on the opposite side.

As Frank said, if you disconnect the wires from the right side, you should find a piece of the old cable end on it (or fused to it from the heat - or at least a black burn spot).

BABY GIRL

so whatever side the chassis is on, the coach should be on the other?

jeff

Oz

Quote from: Mark Sobyak on April 02, 2013, 09:40 PM
Whatever side your chassis  battery cable was on... the coach battery cable is on the opposite side.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Here is a basic diagram of how RV's batteries are set up.

Chassis side battery is used for things like the engine, headlights, tailights, turn signals, etc.
Coach (house) side batteries are used for fridge, cabin lights, furnace, etc.
The silver solinoid simply provides a cross connect option (Aux Start) used to either 1) allow the House battery to assist starting the engine if the chassis battery is run down or 2) allow the engine alternator to charge the house battery while driving.

If you do not understand these basic concepts and cannot figure out your wiring from this and the Winnebago wiring diagram you already have (that you removed from this thread), then I recommend you find someone in your area to help you determine how to hook it up and explain it clearly to you.

Dave
[move][/move]

Oz

Look at Dave's photo. Yes... chassis on left, coach on right.

Just as stated a few posts up

QuoteCoach battery positive should be on the right.

BABY GIRL