Power Converter upgrade recommendations?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, November 28, 2009, 10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 6/30/2007

Hy everyone!

Question for you...our converter crapped out somewhat.  We had several bad brownouts here and I think it may have damaged the converter.  While everything works on 120 volts AC, when you unplug the coach from shore power, the 12 volt lights don't come on at all, even though the batteries are charging, and even they are at full charge.  There used to be a "click" from the converter when we would unplug, but it doesn't click anymore which means the relay is toast.

So, we decided to upgrade the electrical to a better system.  As it is we only have 2 breakers besides the main, and even using tandem breakers its not enough to split every system to thier own circuit.  And only 5 12 volt fuses.  I want a converter that has at least 5 breakers besides main, so we can have each separate appliance and the outlets all on thier own breakers.  And I want at least 7 12 volt fuses in the box.  Additionally, the new converter has to charge batteries with some sort of charge wizard or whatnot....and I'd like it to automatically switch to coach batteries when unplugged.  I also want it to have auto switchover from genny to shore power and back again.  Oh year, it has to be a wall/cabinet type, not the kind that sits on the floor. 

I was also think of using a 50 amp converter/power box...but I'm not sure if lower voltage would hurt it...it shouldn't as long as all the internal breakers are set at 20 amp, etc.  And I don't think a 50 amp converter would hurt the wiring in Excalibur, so long as I use the right breakers.

So guys!  What do you think and recommend?  What about my idea to use a 50 amp box?

Thanks again!

Kev

Any ideas guys?
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

bluebird

Kev, I think you would be better off separating the converter and panel. I put a 45 amp converter with a built in charge wizard in spare time, and like it very much. There is a outfit selling those on ebay pretty reasonable. I believe he is located in Mo. I bought my converter from a place in Ten or Ky, can't remember.If you can live with the old panel, installing the new converter isn't that bad. You remove the change over relay anyways.

Charlie

bluebird

I just got on ebay, there is a fellow selling the intel with charge wizard converter 45 amp.  for $123.00 free shipping. Check it out. Just type in charge wizard.

Charlie

Slantsixness

Sent: 7/3/2007

Kev,

Change the whole panel over to the newer style converter/AC panel with the breakers and everything like I have in Smurfy.
Something like WFCO 3 stage or something like that. It doesn't take long to do, and it has the converter with a "charge wizard" built in. (by the way, the "charge wizard" is not a magic device, nor is is it fully automatic. But the Magnetek and WFCO converters are fully automatic. No overcharging, no charging surges or brownouts.

And, you can get rid of that ridiculous looking (and obsolete) yellow panel, that resembles a fire control panel from a WWII Destroyer. The new panels are 100% compatible, and are even the same physical size.

With the newer panels, there's no giant transformer, no humming, no light flickering, and they operate at a regulated 13.8V when plugged in, 12.6V when on Batteries. So your lights are brighter (generally, but that depends on the condition of your light fixtures too!) The WFCO converters do have a cooling fan on the converter board, so you might hear that, but its no louder than a computer fan (that's what it is...)

There are even lights in the DC fuse portion that tell you if a fuse is blown!

And before you jump up and buy a "3 million amp" version... consider this:

Are you going to weld steel from your 12V supply?? Yeah, I didn't think so. Do you run more than 20 lights at the same time? (again, I know you don't...)

With the newer intelligent converters, you get to draw on the coach batteries, too while plugged in! so.... if you have two coach batteries (I know you do), you've got enough reserve capacity to run an inverter or two to boot. There just has to be "charge time" allowed, like at night.... when you're sleeping.

In particular, the WFCO converter is what comes in a lot of new rigs (campers, RVs, Motorhomes...)

All you need is a 40 amp panel. But the Magnetek and the WFCO are like 55amps... so you're covered there already.\

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 9/10/2007

Well,  good news for now!  Whatever was wrong with the power center, it corrected itself!  The power went out a few weeks ago, and while there was a hesitation, the click finally came and the lights came back on in the rig off battery power.  Then, a few days later, the power went out again, but the lights didn't come back on...a solid whack on the power box with the heel of my hand, and they came right back on...ever since, the click is instantaneous just like it used to be, and the lights come right on.  I checked for loose connections, and nada.  My guess is that the switch stuck, maybe a sticky contact or carbon buildup...but whatever the case, it working perfectly again.  I may still have to replace it someday, but for now?  Yay!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Easybago

Sounds to me like you could replace a $10 contractor and be good to go.

Welcome back!

enigma960080

Congrats,  You have achieved  the10th level of 'Hammersthetic'  converter repair
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

Froggy1936

I love it when a hit or kick makes something start working again.  I just installed in the base of the cabinets (visible from the inside) A Battery Tender Plus that charges @ a low rate 1.25 Amp & maintains the battery's at full charge without overcharging or cooking off the water. ( $75.00 On Line ) If i need more i have the original charger That is also self regulating.  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

fgutie35

Well, now that you know it works, its time to remove it and clean all the connections, and re-connect. Loose connections can create sparks and also damage the converter.