Changing from 6v to 12v batteries

Started by MSN Member, December 13, 2009, 11:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bear1993

Sent: 2/21/2004

I have a 72 chieftain and was contemplating going from 6 to 12 volt batteries.  How would I go about doing that? 

Oz

Sent: 2/23/2004

Using 2- 6v batteries is considered by some to be an upgrade from 2 - 12v batteries.  The 6v batteries are the type used in golf carts or electric fork lifts.  They have thicker plates and hold charge longer because they are designed for these specific heavy duty uses.

The key is the way the batteries are connected.  With 12v batteries, you connect them in parallel.  That is Pos to Pos, Neg to Neg on each battery, and Pos to Pos terminal on your battery isolator and Neg to Neg ground.

With 6v batteries, one Pos terminal on battery A is connected to one Neg terminal on battery B.  This creates a total output of 12v but provides longer usage.  (Very basic explanation)

Of course, you have to consider the variable of the quality of batteries you use.

For a complete explanation on this, read the battery section of "Smart RVing " located in the resource section on the side-bar.  - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

UluzYarx

Sent: 2/24/2004

You can run an old 6 volt battery in series with a new one without harming the new battery.

If you fit an old 12 volt battery side by side with a new one, you very quickly end up with 2 old 12 volt batteries.
If you fit a large battery side by side with a small one you end up with the capacity of 2 small batteries (in round figures).

Adverc.co.uk say that you get more battery for your money with truck batteries.
They sell systems for multi-battery systems and are number one in the UK for ambulances and police vehicles.
I recommend their site.
Dave

Lefty

Sent: 2/23/2004

6v came first. Then as accessories such as power wipers, power seats, air conditioning,etc.. came into being in the early 50's, Manufacturers switched to 12v to better handle the increased demand. As a side note, we are now on the verge of voltage increasing again with several car makers exploring 36v systems. The use of 2- 6v batteries is fairly common in RV's but they are wired in series to make 12v. The amount of voltage or current a wire can carry depends on the gauge (size) of wire. The lower the gauge, the bigger the wire. Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

Lefty

Sent: 2/25/2004

The use of voltage limiters to reduce the incoming voltage is popular with hot rodders who want to keep the original gauges intact for a more traditional look. Most modern Street rods built today have modern gauges that are 12v. so their use has declined over the last couple of decades (tastes and trends change) Now you can even get original gauges that have been re-worked to use 12v. totally eliminating the need for voltage limiters.  Lefty
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...