How do the 110v electrical outlets work?

Started by MSN Member, December 25, 2009, 01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate5231

Sent: 6/12/2005

Hi All
Can someone explain how the electrical outlets work are they just 120 when i plug into shore power or are they also 12 volt when I am not I have a 1975 brave with the original converter rated at 30 amps I just cannot se how to run anything. Does the converter just do 12 volts or are there some hidden 12 volt recpticals i do not know about.
And thanks everyone for the great board.

70winnie

Sent: 6/12/2005

The standard household-style outlets should only be 120V, unless something's seriously messed up! If you have an inverter and it's wired to power them, though, you could have 120V from that (using your batteries as a source).

There might be 12V receptacles somewhere. They're usually little round outlets with a weird pin configuration.

HeavyHaulTrucker

Sent: 6/13/2005

Nate, your AC outlets only work when you are connected to AC power, whether it be from shore power or from your generator (if you have one).  The only 12 volt receptacles are the cigarette lighter plug(s) in the dash, unless you add some to the lighting wiring.

I am not sure how your converter switches from shore power to battery -- some have a big relay mounted on the back of the 12 volt fuse panel, and some have a switch that you have to throw manually.  The converter is only energized when you are hooked up to AC power -- and it's only purpose is to convert the AC to 12 volts DC to power your coach lights, water pump, etc.  The AC outlets are fed directly from the AC breakers.

John