Dog House engine cover - Latches and noise/heat insulation

Started by MSN Member, July 12, 2009, 03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

75braveabago

Sent: 7/13/2006

For sound and heat trouble on my doghouse I used double sided foil insulation that is commonly used in chicken coops. I got some at Home Depot and pressed it into the inside of the house, custom cut it with a razor knife then took it out and applied liberal amounts of construction adhesive and repressed the insulation back in. It has done wonders for both the heat and the noise. You can see what I'm getting at by the photo of  the project on "75 Brave D21" photo page.
Good Luck and stay out of the doghouse!
Glenn

ibdilbert01

Sent: 7/23/2008

Not sure if the latches I have are original or not, they are chrome latches that have a slide switch mechanism that releases them. Over the years they have rusted and I can barely get them off let alone fastened again.

This morning I ordered two sets of fender latches:

http://www.roadlessgear.com/Suzuki/p/1463/hood-latches

I'll let you all know how they work out.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

ibdilbert01

Sent: 9/3/2008

The above latches that I ordered worked out perfect! I ordered two sets (total of 4) and only used three. Two on the sides, and one on the front. They hold the dog house down nice and tight, yet the cover is still easy to remove when you need to work under it. I think they look nice too! They look like the older style rubber jeep hood latches, but a bit smaller.
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

JDxeper

I just ordered flexible rubber holdowns (latches) for the dog house,  They have two sizes and in SS. Will let you know how they work out.
http://orrorr.thomasnet.com/viewitems/truck-hardware/holddowns-complete-with-zinc-or-stainless-brackets?&forward=1
Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

JDxeper

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

DaveVA78Chieftain

Did they go bump in the night?

or

Did the fit just right?

or

did the bump of the floor?

Not sure if bump is good or bump is bad
[move][/move]

TommyM

On each of my prior two motorhomes (a 1975 G-30 van-based class C, and my 1986 27' Winn Chieftain), I used an insulation and glue I bought a few years ago from JC Whitney.  The insulation is as someone described above, a fabric fiber type stuff with a foil backing.  The glue was sold "with" it, as in the glue was designed for this stuff.  It was good for both sound and heat insulation.  I just cut it to fit and glued it to the underside of the doghouse.  As soon as I get "a round to-it," I will do this with our "new" 33' Chieftain too.

I'm a tinkerer (as so many of us here are!) and like someone above, I also hate having to remove four bolts to get the doghouse off, and love the idea of finding some kind of cam-latches to make it easier.  I'm off to the hardware store this afternoon!

Tommy
'75 Midas Class C (parted out, scrapped)
'85 27' Chieftain (crashed!)
'86 33' Chieftain (sold)
'94 37.5' Elante 37RQ
Durango, Colorado

dezertgurl

I haven't found the perfect latch, but I love my insulation! Used the foil-backed stuff mentioned earlier from Summit on the inside of the doghouse, but also insulated the side facing the people with carpet padding (felt NOT foam!). Then covered it with the same carpet as the floorboards in driver & passenger areas. Really cuts down on heat and noise. But if I do it again, I'll use heavy fabric instead of carpet, too awkward trying to shape the carpet!
Just sold 1973 Winnie D20 Brave