Should I have 2 battery isolators?

Started by LVLFNXS, April 06, 2010, 02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LVLFNXS

Sent: 3/28/2004

Hey guys, I have been trying to troubleshoot my coach battery problem, and from all I have seen from the site it there are 2 battery isolators, or always on solenoids, one for each battery?  Well, I only have one.  I will get some pics of the battery compartment soon.  Thank you for your advice in advance.

Erik

denisondc

Sent: 3/31/2004

My 72 has only the one solenoid, which is to connect the two batteries. Isolators are different, I don't know about them.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Under the Technical Info and Diagrams heading of the Resource Page here at CWVRV, you will find a description of the MOM switch.  While most 70's era Winnies only had a continuous duty solenoid you will notice in that MOM description that some of the very late 70's models had either
1 - A continuous duty solenoid and a electronic battery isolator
or
2- A set of diodes

If it had a continuous duty solenoid and a electronic battery isolator, then the "DUAL" selection did not work as the electronic battery isolator performed that function no matter what position the MOM switch was in.  The Momentary (MOM) position still allowed the house battery to be used to help start the engine

That description says that the diode set version isolated the batteries from each other and the alternator still could charge both batteries however, it implies you do not have the House battery engine start capability (no constant duty solenoid).

Some owners (or PO) have modified their rigs such that:
1 - Replaced the constant duty solenoid with a electronic battery isolator
2 - Added a electronic battery isolator like the one described above
or,
3 - Added an after-market control circuit such that the constant duty solenoid is energized if the Alternator voltage is above 13.8VDC (I think thats the value).

This is one of those areas where there is a base design that may or may not have been modified by the end user.  Even the base design was different from RV Mfg to RV Mfg.  Dodge, had nothing to do with how the RV Mfg modified the alternator charging circuit for multiple battery support.

Dave
[move][/move]

Spudboy

Erik:

The Spudmobile seems to be the only rig with two idolaters I think the dealer and a PO set this up as part of a systems to keep from cooking batteries when hooked up to shore power for extended durations (Supposedly the PO lived in the rig full time on a desert lot outside of Phoenix).

Consensus is: One isolator and a MOM switch is standard and good.

-Spudboy

LVLFNXS

Solenoid was replaced and functioned properly. Thank you all for your input!

Oz

And, thank you for your follow up.  As important as all the advice and suggestions given for a question is, the actual fix is equal.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca