Captains seat replacement

Started by MSN Member, April 16, 2010, 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

westcoast redneck

Sent: 5/1/2005

Hi everyone. Well my dual passenger captain seat is shot & I'm wondering where to look for a new single one. 1978 D21 brave.. I''m a little nervous about ordering one without actually sitting in it first.I'm on Vancouver Is just above Victoria. Any Ideas & cost$$? Thanks.

denisondc

The captain chairs in a typical conversion van are fairly comfy I think. I got a pair from a wreck, (free) and added them to my homemade camper in 1981 - enjoyed them for ten years & 50k miles.
In a part of Pennsylvania far from large metro areas, a junkyard owner said the captains chairs from a later 80s Chevy conversion van would be $150-$200. That would have been for a seat with 3 way electric positioning and armrests. It was more than I was willing to pay though.

70winnie

I ordered closeout seats from www.superior-seats.com ... they were still a bit expensive, but brand new, and I'm quite happy with them.  The only complaint I have is that if you recline the seat back, the arm rest stays 90 degrees to the back (which means it tilts back, too).  I think the arm rests should stay parallel to the ground.  You can get them without arm rests, though, and they fold up out of the way.

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm not sure of your budget, but my wife and I are getting a new set of seats from Ebay for less than 1000 bucks delivered.  Just type in "RV Captains" and find the listings from the folks that list a bunch of them, by the pairs.

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/5/2005

Just a note on the recommendation I made for captains chairs on Ebay...the chairs look great, but from the feedback this guy received from others, it appears that it takes at least a month from the time you order until the time you receive the seats.  Not bad if you have the time to wait, but my wifey and I are on a schedule, so we opted to have our seats reupholstered locally.  All in all, our original seats are in very good shape, and are pretty comfortable....they are just an ugly mustard yellow from the 70s. 

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Sent: 2/10/2006

Wife found an awesome set of van seats at a junkyard... almost new... $60 bucks for the pair!  Gotta love that woman!

(Usually, the second row is in much better condition than the front seats)

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tatkin

Sent: 5/23/2006

Are there any other RV's that use the same ? pole type of placement for the captains and passengers chairs ?   I kind of would like to get rid of the ? vinyl ...

Slantsixness

Sent: 5/24/2006

Tom,

Actually, Any captains chair will work. The 4 bolt mounting on the seat bottom is an industry standard.

Now if your pedestal is wobbly or the locking pin no longer functions, they can be repaired or replaced too...

Basically almost any captains chair out of any conversion Van, RV or new ones from Flexsteel will fit the original pedestal mounts. Some newer pedestals are actually lighter duty and have more wobble in them, so use the original pedestals if they're good.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

3x2x4sp389

I am looking for the original seats to replace my velour captains chairs in my 71 D20 - Are yours the OEM seats? 

tatkin

They are stock, the picture of your RV though, the chairs look like mine.  But, with a minimal amount of fabric added to them .   I am hoping to find full cloth chairs.  By the way I am Milwaukee, WI..

Oz

You mean, something like this?  2nd row van seats from the junkyard.  $60 for the pair.  Nearly new condition.

[smg id=839]

Oz

Forgot... they fit right into the original floor mounts, all I got was the seats, no van mounts needed... no wobble either.  Adjusting up and down works too.  - Sob

brians1969

Sent: 5/25/2006

Don't forget to check the height of the seat if you have a pull down over head bunk. A seat too high can cause problems!
brian

Oz

Sent: 5/26/2006

Good point, Brian.  When the bunk is down, I need to tilt the seat back a bit so it doesn't sit on the head rest.

- Sob

tatkin

Sent: 4/23/2006

On the ? captains chair and the passenger/love seat on my 73 Brave are holes in the backrest.  I am guessing but.  Where these used to hold poles that would hold some sort of security/blocking fabric ?  Or where there headrests available that would go in those holes ?

LJ-TJ