How do I remove the toilet?

Started by drummertom, May 10, 2010, 08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drummertom

Sent: 3/30/2006

Does anyone know how to remove the toilet on my 73 Winnie. It will not fill up with water and if I can get it loose I am sure I can figure out why. Thx,
Tom
"Well my time went so quickly. I went lickity spickly out to my ol' 55"

OldEdBrady

If yours is set up like it is in my '77, there are two bolts holding the thing to the floor.  One is in front inside the sarea where the two pedals are.  The other is in back.  You need to be something of a contortionist.

If you can, remove the water line first.

If you can't, well...

I use a box wrench to remove the nuts from the bolts.  That way I can make a one-billionth turn, lift the wrench slightly, move it back, and go for the second billionth.  It's much easier that way than looking for the stupid bolt every time.

The one in the back is much more fun.  You can't see what you're doing, so it's all by feel.

I've done it, and NEVER want to have to do it again.

Good luck!

Ed

firebug911

Mine had a bolt in the back that you had to access by removing a plastic plug on the back top of the toilet... You need a 7/16" or 1/2 " socket and about 9" or 10" of extensions to make it through the hole and down to the nut.  That is the easiest way I know of to get the back one off. The same set up along with a magnet worked good for putting it back together....  Rob

Lefty

Sent: 3/31/2006

You might not need to remove the whole thing, although doing so would make the overhaul a bit easier. Mine separated into two parts at the top, just below the seat. From there, you can replace all of the seals/o-rings with the exception of the sealing ring at the floor of course. It was held in place with screws accessible from the underside (use a mirror to see them). With the top portion removed, all of the internal parts should be accessible.
                                                                           Lefty
ps. If you know the brand/model, post it, & we will try to get you some more specific information. I might be able to also get you an exploded view too.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

drummertom

Sent: 3/31/2006

I can see the bolt in the back if I look down through the little round access hole. Is that the only one that holds it down? I think mine will separate like Lefty said but I can't figure out how it comes apart and I don't want to force anything and break it. I haven't seen a model # but I can email a picture. Thx guys. I really appreciate the help. (So will my two fellow travelers!)
"Well my time went so quickly. I went lickity spickly out to my ol' 55"

Lefty

Sent: 4/1/2006

No need to e-mail them, just take a few good close-ups (from different angles) and post them in the members photo section, and let us know which album they are in. that way, everybody could see them, and probably at least one of us could identify the make/model, there's really only three or four types that were commonly used.
Be very careful, you are right that forcing it would be a very bad idea, plastic tends to become very brittle with age, and would be easily broken, possibly meaning a new toilet.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...