Adding a sleeping wing? Thoughts

Started by Cakeman2253, December 09, 2010, 07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeman2253

Crazy thought
How easy or difficult do you think it would be to add, like a pop up wing to a motor home? Maybe more like on the Kiwi made by Jayco. They fold up vs. slide in. I was coming back from a business trip from NJ and saw a wrecked one for sale. It was hit from the rear, so the front fold out queen wing would be usable. I was thinking it might be nice added onto the back of my motor home. It looks like I would only have to enlarge rear window opening about 1-1/2 feet towrads the roof. I would have it fold out the back of the motor home.
Once opened bracing to sleep on would be easy. More concern about the structural integrity of mounting something like that on the back. The hinge would carry most on the weight when folded up. I am sure I could create a frame so when folded up it would conform to the rear Winnie’s shape. Then I could get one of those rear view cameras to back up.
Any thoughts or is this crazy?
Not sure I want to booger up my Winnie, but after seeing the wrecked one, that’s what popped into my head.
God grant me calm seas, A helpful wind, A good catch, And a safe return home

JDxeper

My thoughts about adding extra sleeping area was to find a classic winne travel trailer, to use as a tag along bedroom.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

LJ-TJ

Shoot I don't think it's crazy. I could be done easy enough. Check out the car hauler posted on the site if your looking for a starting point.

Oz

I don't think it would be all that difficult at all.  Aside from good structural integrity, I think the biggest area of attention is elimination of potential water leakage. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca