Repairing Coach Underside trim?

Started by wizardbill, June 23, 2010, 01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizardbill

OK, here is a picture of the fractured wood at the bottom of the front right quarter panel.  You can see the wood screws the PO used.  How should I go about repairing this?  I am also going to add to this thread the left rear because it is a mess and it is even worse.

That very bottom piece is the underside trim that needs re-attached.  But, as you can see, the wood is rather splintered.  So, I was wondering, should I take the trim off, cut the wood, attach a 2" x 4", then re-attach the trim piece?

Also, how do I fill in the holes left by the metal screws?

tiinytina

I would pull the trim piece off, clean it up, add in new wood where needed, then reattach. I have a Tiffin so in our case all trim on ours is essentially metal screw cover into which a piece of vinyl is inserted to "cover" the screws... I have to replace this vinyl every 4-5 years as it photo degrades.... but worth it and no to expensive....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

wizardbill

This one I have not yet repaired, but I am going to do this in the near future.  It is not too high on the priority list.  I did however repair the rear of the driver side of the coach.  The PO had hit something and the corner was left just flapping in the breeze. 

So, what I did was to add seven L shaped brackets, but did not screw them in all the way.  Then, I got the foam Good Stuff.  I filled the empty cavity with this.  After I filled it all the way, I let it cure for a day, and cut off the extra.  I then screwed the L brackets all the way into the coach.  I then painted over the entire apparatus. 

It looks really good,.  The Good Stuff foam is fantastic for filling voids.  It is not something that you want protecting you from an accident, but it fills in void space and looks pretty good doing it.