Need Replacement Plastic Door Window Frame: ' 78 Georgie Boy

Started by wizardbill, June 04, 2010, 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizardbill

The piece of plastic that holds the door window in place is breaking into pieces!  Oddest thing.  It is completely broken now into about six rather large-ish pieces.  A strange occurrence indeed.  I am holding the frame together with duct tape, but, this is not adequate for travel, as near as I can tell.  Also, it looks bad, so, I would like to get it replaced.  Does anyone have a part number or any idea where I can buy such an odd part?

Thanks,

Bill (still working on George)

Oz

Just going by the vintage year of your GB, I'd say it most likely falls into the category of parts no longer stocked by any dealers.  My suggestion would be to check with the salvage yards listed in the Resources Section of the Member Area, if you can't find any otherwise.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

You also MIGHT get lucky and find a Winnie or Itasca of a similar year in the junkyard with the same size door window.  Winnies and Itascas used aluminum window frames, so if the window is the same size, pull the whole assembly at a junkyard and install it in your door using the aluminum frame, which will never break and last forever.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

wizardbill

Thanks.  I am pretty sure my duct tape is not going to hold over the long term!  ;)

Oz

Last resort, and not a bad option.  Find a different window that's a little larger, cut a template and put it in.

JDxeper

Go to the member resources, RV salvage, one of these people will have the part.

Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

vbazinet

Years ago when I worked at a lumber yard we would order replacement glass frames an grills of all shapes n sizes for insulated entry doors. I'd check with your local yard with your ruff opening and I'm sure you'll find something. Good luck.

wizardbill

I was thinking of doing this:

Cutting metal frame pieces and getting plexiglass.  Putting the plexiglass in and removing the old glass.  The metal frame holds the plexiglass in place.  However, there is a lot of space in the thickness of the door. 

What should I use to keep the plexiglass from moving around?  Right now, there are a bunch of plastic tabs that broke when the frame around the glass broke.  So, how should I keep the new plexiglass from moving around?

Oz

Foam rubber insulation strips should work.  Available at hardware stores in any number of widths and lengths.  Get something that's dense.  Since you won't likely find anything in a continuous size that will work, be sure to put the cut ends at the top, not the bottom.

ClydesdaleKevin

I'm still thinking you'd be much better off and save a lot of money and headaches if you go to a junkyard and find a door window and frame the same size or slightly bigger and just install that.  If its bigger all you have to do is cut the hole in your door bigger to match.  Just hold the frame up to the door and use a sharpie to mark out the outline.  Then use a jigsaw or a Rotozip to cut the opening bigger.  I usually have better luck with a jigsaw when cutting body panels.  Use putty tape on the outside when you install it then seal it with silicone or A-lex.  I like A-lex for most things, but silicone is better for parts that move or flex since its much less likely to crack.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

wizardbill

Thanks Kevin.  I will check some yards.  I have not been to the salvage yards yet for George, so this might be a good time to start.  I have to find a good one in my area.

wizardbill

OK.  Here is what I did to solve this problem.  The first thing I tried was to cut a piece of plexiglas then put a wooden picture frame around it.  That did a few things.  But, the first thing it did was look terrible.

Then, on the first Shelby test drive, the screws that held the plexiglas on the window created a crack across the corner of the sheet.  So, the repair failed and the sheet flapped in the breeze.  So, I removed the wooden frame and bought another piece of plexiglas.  With the new sheet, I pre drilled the holes into the corner of the sheet, much larger than the screw that was going in.

I then put down a liquid sealant.  It was a white silicone.  I would recommend using the clear.  But the sealant worked.  So, I used the sealant and the screws in the corner.  I have driven about 600 miles since, and it has had no problems.

We did paint Shelby on the door so that the sealant does not show.  This solution is very good.