Mounting Winegard UHV/VHF/FM Antenna & Reception

Started by MSN Member, September 12, 2010, 03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatkin

Sent: 9/5/2006 6:05 PM

Anyone ever mount one of these inside the coach?  It just seems like it wouldn't be  be easy to route the cables.

Slantsixness

Sent: 9/5/2006 6:13 PM

You won't get much reception inside a winnie. The whole Motor home is a giant reflector, and it's grounded when you're hooked to a shore line.

I suppose it would do better than rabbit ears though.

Consider this:
Mount a piece of pvc pipe to the side of the motor home, and pop the little Wineguard antenna on top when you park. you can run the cable down the inside of the pipe and bring it into the rig  from underneath. There's a half a dozen spots to bring it inside... through a closet, underneath the sink, the gaucho, a vent stack. there's always a way, it just depends on where you want the TV located.

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 9/7/2006 7:02 AM

We use one of those Winguard "umbrella" type antennas.  It mounts anywhere on the coach exterior, preferably on a rear corner.  Since our TV is in the rear bedroom, it was easy to run the cable through the cabinets over the bed.  Reception is pretty good for this thing too, for local channels.  And they're cheap!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tatkin

Sent: 11/5/2006 5:52 PM

Now that I have been looking a bit at these I am a bit interested in the Winegard Hideaway Antenna instead.   Cheaper, 50%  and I don't really need tv while on the road either. 

tatkin

Sent: 11/5/2006 6:00 PM

I ordered one, $50 with the shipping ... 
I guess this is what I ordered, the umbrella type .  It hides away when not needed ...

tatkin

Sent: 2/1/2007

Ya know, because of this addition , I had to purchase a ladder for the RV.   
So that I can get up there and put the antenna up or stowed.  a Winegard antenna that just sits on the roof and you never have to touch it.

Lesson learned , I doubt it . 

Well now I have access to the roof/observation deck ...

tiinytina

Sent: 2/2/2007 4:34 PM

Actually called Winegard about getting one of those never have to touch it antennas. Guy was honest actually.... Those types don't get near the reception of the crank ups (that we currently have but needed some parts). So parts bought and replaced. We bring DVD's anyway and have the DVD wired in.
Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

tatkin

Sent: 8/1/2007 6:37 PM

I still have crappy reception even now that I have that umbrella type Winegard installed ...    DVD's it is I guess.   I also was climbing up the ladder while watching the tv thru the rear window. Adjusting the antenna did help some.

tiinytina

Sent: 8/19/2007 6:19 PM

ya. we crank the TV antenna 360 and sometime there is nothing out there, even in our own driveway. Ok we live 15 miles as the crow flies from the Capitol... as in the big white marble dome in downtown Washington DC. You'd never know though as we are surrounded by horse farms, old tobacco farms, and Deale does not have a stop light. 

Usually we are luckyto get a channel or two off the antennae.  So ya... we bring lots of DVD selections with us. Some campgrounds do have Cable now! So it may behoove you to install a connection...
Tina

tiinytina

ok, so went to Goose Bay... wanted to watch local TV, pre-digital era we could get 2-3 channels... with digital converter,
nada yesterday... (ok and then on top of that the antennae started leaking like a sieve in the rain (probably quad gear gasket)... . In our own driveway we got 1 channel, very fuzzy.... Now looking into a new Winegard Sensar IV RVW395 digital antennae. They are saying the "newer" ones have better range etc.... ours is an Sensar I I think circa 1987.

Just want to see what thoughts are on the topic. Would be nice to get local channel or 2 sometimes....

Tina

bluebird

I bought the digital add on for my antenna. seems to work pretty good, and wan't hard to put on. Got it off ebay last fall. I don't get as many channels as before, but what I do get comes in better. I don't remember what I paid but it wasn't too bad.

tiinytina

Ordered the Winegard Sensor IV from AdventureRV.  was on sale $129!!! and installed we got 8 channels ... Pros - the channels come in super clear, but...Cons  if there is any interference the channel shuts down as it "searches" for a signal.. which  $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! rather see a partially fuzzy picture than nothing.. but ah well....  Pat was able to at least watch most of the Penn State game...

We already had holes and wires from old one so install was pretty easy though I did hear some cursing going on (I know better to get in the way W% ) I was outside replacing screw cover...  :D

Tina

bluebird

I know what ya mean. I'd rather have a little snow than nothing at all, but I don't think digital works that way.  They sure messed up air tv, my o2.

JDxeper

Is that an amplified antenna?  I have one that  gets one sometimes with out amp but most of the time 8 with the amp.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

Froggy1936

Hi I installed the Winegard amplified wind up antenna (fairly easy for 1 person installation)  The convertor has a signal strength feature (so you do not have to see T V wile adjusting position) traveling around the country i have had very good reception everywhere i have been (The convertor has a automatic signal finder) Scan usuallyfinds 10to 15 channels You must find a way to remember to lower antenna before moving. The only drawback is harder to walk on roof without stepping on folded antenna Note the rubber seal on the wire has to be glued down or it will move and leak water after raising and lowering antenna the booster addition did not seem to help and reception is terrible without turning on amplifier  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

tiinytina

yes both our old Sensar 1 and this one were/are amplified.... this new one is HD plus says range of 50 miles... and yes on up and down.. I have it on my list by steering wheel... like the sign in the movie RV...

Antennae down
stairs in
awning up
Spouse!

hee hee

ClydesdaleKevin

We installed a new Sensar on the Holiday Rambler since the old one wasn't set up for digital or HD, and we ended up getting about 12 channels here, not too far from Charlotte, NC.  Then I added the Wingman, and holy crap!  We have 32 channels now, crystal clear...and not including the Spanish and christian channels, we still get 28 watchable good channels...yay!!!  Its almost like having satellite TV without having to aim a dish or pay for service.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Sea Hag

I use the wingard crank-up antenna/ amplifier coax plug ins, that came with my rig (1987 vintage ) I looked at upgrades for hd but since they looked similar to my existing one I gave it a try , and it works fine for analog and digital signals . Of course that depends on your area, terrain, etc. here is a link that comes in handy for signal info and direction to point antenna .
http://www.fcc.gov/mb/engineering/maps/  I'll also post this link seperate

I upgraded my TV to a 19" wide Flat screen HD Digital TV ( Toshiba ) you can find some good sales if you watch for them and prices have drop ed considerably . this eliminates the need for a converter most have channel search and a signal strength meter built in for aiming antenna .I've had good luck finding stations depending on area both analog and digital . with the digital signals you either get them crystal clear or you don't get them period .
When self contained ,w/o electric , I use a cheap ($30.00) corbra 12V/120V converter  that easily handles the TV (Flat screen TVs  use little power )and will also support a converter or DVD Player.with two coach batts , it Draws about 0.1 volts per hour with TV and DTV sat.converter   .
I  bring an older (SD)  Direct TV converter That I normally use in garage . and a single LMB dish I found in garbage when someone moved . I mounted the dish to a board and strap it on top of RV when I set up and aim it .
Sea Hag

Oz

The Winegard Sensar Models installation and operation manual is now available in the the free manuals section of the Member Area.  Includes base mounting template.  Revised 02/08.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca